Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: Raid Gasepie (international wire problem)

in: Adventure Racing; General

Feb 5, 2016 3:30 AM # 
I've signed up for the Raid Gasepie, held in Quebec next September. I had my bank, USAA, wire the entry fee (almost $1,000 USD) to the bank the RD provided. It's almost been a month and the RD says the money is not in his account. My bank shows no problems with the wire, the RD's bank accepted it and I've verified the account information and name are correct (as provided by the RD). I've e-mailed the RD several times, but he says his bank can't help. Last week I requested an inquiry be sent to the RD's bank, no response after several days. Finally I requested the wire be returned, again no response.
So, has anybody had a problem like this before with an international wire?
Or, does anybody know the Raid Gasepie RD or staff who can help me bridge the (assuming) language gap and see what their side of the story is?
Washington DC
Feb 5, 2016 3:41 AM # 
Argghh, frustrating. I do know one of the organizers but there wouldn't be a language gap since their English is good. It is a trustworthy organization with a long history in the sport. They always attract a number of international teams and they presumably accept wires regularly. It sounds like the problem needs to be traced through the banks and you've obviously been trying to approach it that way with no luck so far. The only thing I can suggest is getting louder and madder. :(
Feb 5, 2016 3:55 AM # 
Thanks Bash. The RD is being exceptionally patient waiting for payment, and I'm very excited to do attend the race.
I was hoping for some more help from their end with the bank. I've learned that wires are an antiquated system. My bank can only send a request via the wire system, they can't pick up the phone and call the destination bank directly. That's not allowed (at least according to the "back office" manager of my bank's international wire department, and USAA is a very trusted bank in the US). So if the RD won't do it (and be forceful), there is nothing I or my bank can do but wait for a response. I'm hopeful it will work out, and in the big picture $1,000 isn't worth getting too frustrated about, right?
Feb 5, 2016 5:01 AM # 
Strange - wishing you luck!
Feb 8, 2016 1:51 AM # 
Issued resolved by the RD. Wire recieved.

This discussion thread is closed.