As you noticed, the blue course had a pretty sharp dogleg turn at that far SE corner of the map. You may also notice that vegetation on the hilltop is more green on the new version of the map than on older preview maps. That corner of the map and those 4 southernmost controls were visited only by blue course.
The original course plan made last summer went further south into area that we decided was green and unusable. I visited sites there in August with the park naturalist and streamered originally planned locations. But I also noted how scratched up we got fighting to a couple of the locations, and planned some revisions.
From September to February, most of the park was closed to everyone except deer hunters with permits for specific areas. As soon as hunting season ended, I started doing map updates and visited that far southern section a second time. I added a lot of green, adjusted locations a bit more, and streamered a couple extra points including the depression that you saw and a rootstock across the power line. The revised blue had that dogleg and I was still looking for ways to make it less of a dogleg.
Two weeks before the Pig I visited the area for the third time, placing control stands and bags. On that day I was also still looking at the area in hopes of figuring out one more suitable location to make a less sharp turn in the course and I left streamers at the two unused locations (both far enough apart that the separations all significantly exceeded OUSA minimum separations). The reentrants and depressions looked a lot alike, but were far enough apart to both legally have controls.
Anyway, I still didn't find a better way to turn the course. Monday or Tuesday Ben or Dave vetted the stand placements, but unused comtrol sites no longer appeared on their maps, so they either didn't see the tape or didn't look at it closely enough to realize it was ours. Thursday or Friday before the Pig, Ben or Dave visited to place the control unit, and again they didn't have unused sites on their maps and hadn't been told to remove the tape.
Because this part of the park is so difficult to get to, we simply never made a sweep of that area to remove the unused tapes.
I collected the controls from that area this morning and removed the extra tape as well. We got the last controls out of the woods just before 8 pm tonight. I know of one other unused tape that is still in the woods, but I think we have got everything else out.
By the way, it would not be unusual for a racer on Saturday to see a tape for a Sunday control that hadn't yet been placed, although it would have been unexpected that both day's courses would visit that extreme corner of the park.