Yellow was permitted. Also, any open (white) woods was OK for a bike carry.
Although turnout was disappointing, those that participated enjoyed the event. I apologize for the misplace of control 2.
I'm not sure what could be done to improve the turnout. Factors going against us could include:
1. lack of prior O experience among the MTB crowd and the fear of trying something new.
2. other MTB events going on in the area on the event day.
3. the difficult task of converting an existing map to the MTBO standards. It would actually seem easier to produce a new map from scratch.
4. at least in our club, we don't have many folks that are into MTB.
5. finding suitable locations with a trail network that can provide true route choices.
For those clubs willing to try, I would encourage them to utilize the map conversion tutorial
provided by Greg Lennon. After explaining how to convert the map, it uses pictures of trails to give you the idea of what the MTBO trail symbols play out in real life.