My year in review, and outlook for 2017... as things come to my head...and as time permits.
1. I had knee surgery in February, but still finished with my most training hours since I was a teenager.
2. Only had 100ish training hours for the year, but getting noticeably stronger and faster. Super motivating to know that I've only scratched the surface of my fitness...even though I'm approaching 40.
3. Beginning to understand the pulse of O/AR in Ontario/Canada/North America again.
Ontario: AR heavy. AR dominates.
But there's still some O to be had:
- Neverending potential of Toronto to build a sprint racing community.
- World class terrain in Muskoka, Hailburton, Trent Hills, Frontenac/north of Kingston...and many more.
- Continued growth of DGL's youth program and race lineup.
- Healthy O-ing with the Stars.
- Ottawa's healthy O-community. Purest O in the province.
Tough honest question:
OOA. What's going on there?
So are Nationals a potential race for you in 2017?
Planning on being there the whole week. Family in tow.
Where would you feel happiest putting energy into in 2017?
Mapping and course setting. Deep down, i'd love to perform race-wise right now, but I'm very aware that to achieve my race goals - it's more of a 2-4 year plan.
Still going to race as much as I can though.
I might as well make a goal (speed-wise) for the year:
Run a sub 37 10k before I turn 38. That'll keep me busy.
It's attainable and may get me places orienteering-wise.
- Top 8 H21E middle and long at Nationals. Totally dependent on the strength of the field. Might be a stretch considering my small sample size of races recently - really don't have a good idea how I stack up.
- Get out to maybe one Sprint Series weekend, and one or two races in the northeast US.