What? You thought you'd have teenage vitality and flexibility in your 60's? Do a search for 'senescence' if you want to find out why your ankle is suddenly giving you problems. Getting older causes stuff like:
- The number and size of muscle fibers decrease. Thus, it takes muscles longer to respond.
- The water content of tendons decreases as we age. This makes the tissues stiffer and less able to tolerate stress.
- The body's metabolic rate slows.
- Joint motion becomes more restricted and flexibility decreases.
- The chemistry of cartilage changes. With less water content, the cartilage becomes more susceptible to stress, damage, and tearing.
You're one of the most fit 60-yr olds I know; not many
could keep up with Maricel. But as I found out myself, at some point, you have to take a pass on certain activities....or otherwise risk permanently crippling injury.
Such as passing on the trail run at Pets, to run at the RecPlex instead. Good move! Good luck with the ankle rehab.
Thanks for physiology lesson. Yep i tend to think if you maintain and stay in shape maybe some of that won’t happen. But it gets tougher every year. I guess at 90 I’ll start golking.... not!!
Trail runs are actually much better for maintaining thru 60's than recplex...unless you are injured of course. the constant shifting and uneven terrain works more muscle groups and therefore recruits them for injury prevention and overall strength.
-do weight bearing activity
-drink more water lol - no, really just keep working the tendons in all kind of ways
-do tempo and interval wrkouts
-do rockclimbing yoga, stretching and weightlifting
- just keep strong and that will protect your cartilage to some extent
So of the two strategies, being scared of anything too demanding or strenuous or keeping strong by being smart which do you want?
foot tendons pinging this am. no guarantees. gotta be careful, Chi is right.
Survived day 1 here in Ohio
day 2 also in fine form. lucky for you it was on a former golf course.
Soupbone....on a golk course?
Best use of a golk course ever!!! This is what should happen to all golk courses all over the world. Chi- town better get used to it.