I’ve found it motivating to write the name of the person providing the source of my anger/frustration on the bottom of my shoe and then go for a run.
Oh, I like that! In no particular order, I would have written the following on my shoe yesterday:
- New manager of the Town of Caledon Building Department who just provided a completely different list of requirements from the old manager after our expensive engineer had redone all the drawings (this would be written on both shoes)
- Complex medical problems of an elderly family member
- A different family member creating unnecessary stress as usual
- GMail, which suddenly stopped accepting the password for my primary email account through my email client. My “junk” GMail account kept on working. Google also stopped recognizing all my devices yesterday, which is surely connected. It took two hours to find a way around it.
The post-snowshoe wine was delicious. :)
GMail seems to have changed something with their authentication mechanism yesterday as I had the same problem, compounded by the issue that my email client (Thunderbird) only pops up the error message for a fraction of a second - just long enough to see that there is something, but not long enough to read it or click on it. It looked like what happens sometimes at hotels when GMail thinks I'm on an unsecure network, but the usual fix - logging into GMail via webmail - didn't help. Googling was completely useless (what to even search for?) but eventually I thought maybe it was related to the "allow less secure apps" setting (which had to be on to allow Thunderbird to connect) and searched for issues with Thunderbird connecting to GMail. That turned up the solution: switch Thunderbird to using OAuth2 so GMail no longer views it as a "less secure app".
You’re the first person to mention having this problem too - thanks! It seemed strange that nobody else was having GMail trouble. That was the same solution that worked for me (also on Thunderbird) after two hours of googling, clearing caches, trying other devices, and exploring Google and Thunderbird settings. I could still access GMail through the browser but it’s so awkward compared to Thunderbird!
My 2nd GMail account on Thunderbird kept working, which was an unhelpful clue that steered me in the wrong direction. Maybe there was a temporary glitch on a Google server and I should just wait? Or maybe something was wrong with my primary email account - gulp. I discovered that it’s 1 GB away from maxing out its storage so I wondered if some process was trying to grab too much space. I tried deleting an old folder. I didn’t really want to change Thunderbird settings because everything had been working fine for 7 years, and the 2nd GMail account was still working with identical settings.
Googling old Mozilla Support pages provided the OAuth2 idea. Wondering if it was temporary, I just changed the incoming server setting, which resolved the issue. After 15 hours, my outgoing messages failed so I changed that server’s setting too. After 28 hours, my 2nd GMail account stopped working so I changed its setting to OAuth2 as well. While doing all this, Google kept insisting that my laptop, phone and iPad were all unknown devices so there was a barrage of 2-factor authentications every time I tried anything on the server side.
I hope Google is all done now! :)
I'm not 'techy' but FYI my gmail has been fine. It's managed by my IT dept however so they may have dealt with any issues.
… and my brother used to drive a Thunderbird, but I think that's a different thing ;-)
… I think I'm going to have nightmares of racing alongside JayXC and hearing him include my name in a list he repeats to himself as he prepares to take a nap (a la Arya Stark)
Lol! Depending on how you access your email, it may or may not have affected you. You might use Outlook or another email client with settings managed by your IT department. Or you might access GMail directly through their application so there is no external client.
Google has warned me for a few years that Thunderbird is "less secure" and advised me not to use it. I had to give express permission for Thunderbird to access GMail by turning on a "less secure application" setting. Now they've taken it to the next level.
For my future reference (and maybe for Arthurd's too), there is much discussion of this topic here, especially in the "Less Secure Apps" section.