Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: Canceled for May 2-3, possible reschedule for Fall

in: CANCELLED/POSTPONED - North American Rogaining Championships (May 2–3, 2020 - Ashford, WA, US)

Mar 18, 2020 9:46 PM # 
Pink Socks:
Based on current CDC guidelines, which include: no gatherings of 50+ through May 10, we're going to have to cancel this event as originally scheduled for May 2-3, 2020.

We're considering rescheduling for Halloween weekend: Sat, Oct 31 & Sun, Nov 1, 2020. If you're wondering, that'll have 10 hours of sunlight, an additional 1 hour of twilight, and a 100% full moon.

We're also considering moving back to our original, preferred location of the channeled scablands near Sprague, WA. If you're wondering, average temperatures in Sprague for this date are 49F / 33F (compared to 47F / 31F in Ashford, WA). Average daily precip is 0.06" in Sprague (compared to 0.35" in Ashford).

Keep in mind that these decisions are currently very tentative, and we won't be able to confirm for several weeks. We need some time to communicate with permitting agencies, as well as monitor how the pandemic spreads and how event guidelines change. Mergeo originally scheduled 47 event days of trail runs and navigation events for 2020, so depending on what other events of ours get canceled, those may get precedence for open fall weekends.
May 16, 2020 3:53 PM # 
Any updates on the possible idea of a Haloween 2020 weekend?
May 18, 2020 3:47 AM # 
Pink Socks:
No updates yet, sorry.

We're busy working with the governor's office to figure out how and when we (and other trail running race organizers) can start having trail runs (and by extension, navigation events) again.

We have four-phase reopening plan in Washington, and 30 of 39 counties are still in Phase 1 (ie: stay-at-home) through June 1 and gatherings of 50+ aren't permitted until Phase 4.

The rogaine terrain happens to sit in four different counties (and span federal, state, and private land), which may complicate things; two of the counties are already in Phase 2.

Yes, we all know that there isn't much "gathering" that takes place at a rogaine, but it's convincing the permitting agencies of that.
Oct 19, 2020 2:40 AM # 
What happened to the postponement to Halloween weekend? Presumably its been postponed again to sometime in '21?
Oct 20, 2020 5:30 PM # 
Eric has secured a permit and will tentatively schedule for Memorial Day weekend in 2021, assuming the border will be open. Otherwise, it could be as late as fall 2021. Or if border remains closed, it could be just the US Championships. Great terrain in the Eastern Washington scablands!
Oct 30, 2020 1:32 AM # 
Thanks for the update!

Please login to add a message.