Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: Really hoping things ramp d...

in: Swampfox; Swampfox > 2020-04-03

Apr 4, 2020 6:50 PM # 
Really hoping things ramp down by late summer. A trip to Laramie would be quite fine...
Apr 4, 2020 11:05 PM # 
Any plans for NRE status for any of these events? Sanctioning would warrant moving this up to the National Event calendar. Everything else on the National Calendar between now and then has been cancelled or moved forward...
Apr 5, 2020 2:27 AM # 
I thought that an application for sanctioning had been sent in some time ago, but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Is there still a Sanctioning Calendar at OUSA? If there is, I don't see it.
Apr 5, 2020 10:27 AM # 
Not sure about a sanctioning specific calendar, but there is an "Unofficial Planning Calendar" linked at the bottom of the National Calendar page which lists most of the major events including those in sanctioning. I didn't see a late summer Wyoming event listed there regardless of NRE sanctioning status. I will inquire with the sanctioning committee..
Apr 5, 2020 11:33 AM # 
Sharon recently commented that, "The dates Sept 2-7 have been on the national schedule for a long time for Laramie Daze, a popular event with six days of orienteering, including 3 national ranking "A" meet days".

I don't dispute that, and it's certainly on the calendar on my wall, but I'm not finding whatever calendar she's referring to. The Attackpoint entry is pretty nonspecific.
Apr 5, 2020 4:03 PM # 
J-J, I'm glad you wrote that, because it prompted me to look at the Attackpoint entry you referenced. I put that up a long time ago, and hadn't looked at it since. Since then, we decided to change the name back to the Rocky Mountain Orienteering Festival (keeping it in line with what we have done in recent years), and so I've updated that.

And there will be a web site for it, using the same site as was used in 2018, but checking that I see that nothing has been updated yet.

None of that had any urgency because our thought originally was that because of the California events, we were unlikely to have many people interested in coming out to Laramie such a short time later. But obviously that has changed.

I've just learned from Clint that the Billygoat has been rescheduled for the same weekend, which is unfortunate--though not so much from our perspective (I would not expected many people to be coming from the New England area ordinarily, with or without the N. Ams, etc so nearby in the calendar), as from that of a number of people who will certainly want to be at Billygoat, but who might have considered traveling out to Laramie otherwise. Note that I am not suggesting anything should be changed, other than maybe getting rid of the novel corona virus if at all possible.
Apr 5, 2020 4:11 PM # 
The only reference I had seen was the Attackpoint entry, but as you say, not a lot of detail there, and no link to a website. The official national schedule would be the OUSA calendar which I am now maintaining, but there are no entries for Laramie Daze there, nor anything on the unofficial planning calendar - which is why I started this discussion as well as emailing Mikell and others directly. Folks have responded and hopefully will have official clarification very shortly...

ps - Billygoat IS on the planning calendar, as a major regional event, but not a sanctioned event.
Apr 5, 2020 4:33 PM # 
Depending on how things shake out, I may come out for the first part of the Laramie event and then head home in time for the Billygoat. (Especially if my trip to Sweden gets deep-sixed.)

Please login to add a message.