Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: Rumors

in: Bridge; Bridge > 2020-04-09

Apr 10, 2020 1:18 PM # 
What are the cadet rumors on the way ahead for the corps?
Apr 10, 2020 11:03 PM # 
Right now we know for certain that the rest of the corps will be finishing AY20-2 remotely and that the firsties will (probably) return to take care of graduation/commissioning. What we don't know is how CST is going to work, or how the firsties are going to return. It's been speculated that CST is going to get pushed back and Beast shortened (if it happens at all). I think that depending on how the NY situation goes, the firsties could be brought back:
A. All at once and forced to quarantine... at Buckner? In the barracks?
B. In waves and forced to quarantine in the barracks or at Buckner for 2 weeks
C. Not at all, with all our stuff shipped back to us like some colleges are doing

We should be given clearer guidance by 26 April... but since USMA leadership is (rightfully) treating this as a conditions-based, not time-based, situation, nothing's for certain.
Apr 10, 2020 11:38 PM # 
Thanks for the info. I think USMA is following Army and DoD with this being conditions based and they're waiting for DoD's decision in the next week or two regarding the DoD stop move.

My guess is you'll end up back at West Point o/a 12May if not later. The question definitely has to do with how to do quarantining/isolation. You could do it within the cadet area as it's a confined area similar to how the rest of the Army is doing quarantining I'm leaning toward graduation looking like what USAFA is taking - livestream but minimally attended.

CST will definitely be interesting - likely less schools, CTLT, and possibly condensed training. I think they'll prioritize beast as it's a key experience.

What do you want to see for your graduation/commissioning. When was your report date for abolc?
Apr 12, 2020 1:59 AM # 
Maybe I fail to see the emotional/social/publicity value of ceremonies, but I honestly don't have any desire for a grad/commissioning ceremony at this point. Obviously, West Point being West Point, there almost has to be something of the sort, so I just hope it's low-key like you mentioned and sooner rather than later. ABOLC date was 17AUG so even if graduation gets pushed back (which it probably will be) I won't be rushed in getting to Benning.
Apr 15, 2020 4:03 PM # 
And the plot thickens - DOD extending Stop Move more info in the next few days; Army: no new BOLC classes until further notice.
Apr 16, 2020 12:48 AM # 
Yep, just saw that today too. Makes sense but ugh...
Apr 17, 2020 2:07 PM # 
Ooph. I wonder if you could be stop-moved, but virtually reassigned to the faculty and do NIT by Zoom?
Apr 17, 2020 2:07 PM # 
I guess actually reassigned, participating virtually...
Apr 17, 2020 2:48 PM # 
I think that has been considered but I think the people that can get an ETP are going to rise and ETP approval is going to be pushed to a lower level. I already qualify (or will qualify) for an ETP, lets see how many different groups I qualify for after next week!
Apr 17, 2020 3:22 PM # 
Good. Good luck on the move!
Apr 19, 2020 1:17 AM # 
13 June, can you confirm?
Apr 19, 2020 11:06 AM # 
We have received no information whatsoever from the Supe/Comm regarding changing graduation to this date, so I'm remaining skeptical.
Apr 19, 2020 12:54 PM # 
I was/am pretty sceptical when I only saw one secondary source. I still think USMA is waiting for the specifics of the Stop move extension.

I read that the USAFA grads could move once after graduation then they're stuck until reporting at some point to be determined
Apr 19, 2020 6:44 PM # 
Yeah, I'm expecting we'll get some definite answers by the end of the week. And from what I understand, ETPs to the stop move order are going to be a bit easier to obtain. So we'll see how that pans out for our plans prior to and after graduation.
Apr 19, 2020 7:39 PM # 
I can only imagine what you, your classmates, and families are going through without answers.

Post graduation, I think any big trips you had are pretty much of the table. I don't envy your grad leave options.

Not that it concerns you, rumor has it that some/all of the summer training decisions are due o/a 7 May.
Apr 21, 2020 3:39 PM # 
We're supposed to finally get answers this week, thank goodness. And yep, I do believe 7 May is the due date for CST decisions.
Apr 22, 2020 7:11 PM # 
Well - The decision is made. How that three extra weeks is going to shake out for you?
Apr 23, 2020 2:00 AM # 
They've yet to determine exactly when in May we're coming back, but when we do report back, we'll get screened and then sent into a quarantine environment (in Cadet Area, not Camp Buckner, thank god) where we'll do out-processing and pre-BOLC tasks til graduation.
Apr 23, 2020 12:53 PM # 
what's your personal opinion on the plan? It sound like a pretty good plan-not the best for people who had plans in early June but I think it passes the common sense test. Are they going to let you leave after graduation until bolc report dates or make everyone wait until the stop move order is lifted?
Apr 23, 2020 7:33 PM # 
I could go without the ceremony but I think it's overall a decent plan for getting us outprocessed and ready for BOLC. And they still haven't figured out what to do with us after graduation... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 23, 2020 7:55 PM # 
You're like me - not all into the pomp and circumstance. What happens after graduation will probably come closer to when summer training is decided (or later) after they have a better idea how the situation has evolved.
Apr 24, 2020 6:28 PM # 
Yep, we shall see
Apr 25, 2020 4:20 PM # 
Is it true trump will be speaking at your graduation?
Apr 25, 2020 5:20 PM # 
Yes, that was confirmed this week by USMA administration.
Apr 26, 2020 1:42 AM # 
So when do you start drawing 2LT pay - is that delayed until the later graduation date??
Hmm, and will the delay allow for a compressed STAP session to possibly get some of the borderline folks up over the minimum before graduation - impacting who the goat will be??
Apr 28, 2020 12:18 AM # 
From what I understand, since our commissioning date remains 23MAY, we should begin receiving 2LT pay in June when it was previously scheduled to begin. As far as STAP goes, admin is still working on developing and selecting a COA for cadet summer training, so I can't say... would be interesting if that were to happen though!
Apr 28, 2020 12:28 AM # 
So much uncertainty! I heard a birdie say that STAP1 is being taught remotely, just like classes some spring break.
Apr 28, 2020 2:25 PM # 
Yes--that's the one thing that is for certain (besides our graduation date itself)

Please login to add a message.