in: Saguaro Training Mini-Week (Jan 19–22, 2010 - Tucson Estates, AZ, US)
Thanks for signing up for the Tucson Training Camp! The schedule for the week is filled with exciting orienteering opportunities in a great mix of places, so it promises to be a great week. It looks like we may get some clouds and perhaps even some light rain early next week, but don't worry, you needn't pack a parka and a rainsuit. I think everyone will appreciate a few cooler days in the middle of all the sun. But please do remember that the diurnal temperature variation is large - it can be 40F at sunrise and 70F in the afternoon.
I'm compiling an info packet that I should have available at Anza-Borrego and at all of the events thereafter. They will include directions and notes from the course designers, but please note that directions to all events are available on the club website (http://www.tucsonorienteeringclub.org) under "Directions to Events". There are some deviations from the standard directions, and there most likely will not be any signs. Here's a quick cheat sheet noting map names/locations and any deviations from the website directions:
* Tuesday 9 AM: Sweetwater Preserve
* Tuesday 3 PM: Arthur Pack - Start/Finish is at Ramada #2. After entering the park from Thornydale Road take the first immediate right and park at the far, north end of the parking lot.
* Wednesday 9 AM: Kentucky Camp
* Wednesday 3 PM: Box Canyon
* Thursday 9 AM: Catalina State Park - To carpool, meet at 8:40 a. m. in the parking area of the Oro Valley Home Depot (northeastern corner) or else at 9:00 a. m. at Catalina State Park (entry fee $ 6/car, up to four people). After paying, drive about 0.9 mi to left-turn-off (magenta streamer) that leads to the group camp site. Park shortly (approx. 100 yards) before reaching the group camp site (paved parking area on your left, magenta streamer at turn-off).
* Thursday 3 PM: Arthur Pack - Start/Finish is at Ramada #1. After entering the park from Thornydale Road take the second right and park next to the playground. If there is no room for parking next to the playground, continue down the road to the large parking area just northwest of the playground
* Friday 3-8 PM: Chimney Rock - Take Tanque Verde Road in eastern direction out of Tucson. Tanque Verde becomes Reddington Road, a mountainous improved dirt road. After milepost 10, turn left onto Bellota Ranch Road. Drive on Bellota Ranch Road for 2 mi to start/finish at its intersection with the Arizona Trail. Reddington Road is in good condition, the Bellota Ranch Road less so (high clearance advisable). It is recommended to carpool in high-clearance vehicles from the parking area on Reddington Road near milepost 10 (restroom). Driving time from central Tucson to the start is about 80 minutes.
See you all soon!
This discussion thread is closed.