Every year the High Performance Program holds a silent auction fundraiser at the Canadian Orienteering Championships. This year the silent auction will be at the North American Orienteering Championship's banquet on Monday, August 20th.
Members of the High Performance Program will be donating items, but we greatly rely on and appreciate donations from the Canadian orienteering community, their family and friends, and any out of country orienteers.
If you would like to donate something, here are a few ideas:
- Could your club donate an entry to an upcoming event?
- Are you a crafter – can you donate something like a pair of home-made mittens or a hat? pottery? weaving? sculpture? jewellery?
- Are you a foodie – can you donate a jar of home-made jam, a batch of cookies, a ready-to-go home-made baking mix, some home-made granola?
- Do you have a cabin or cottage that you could donate a gift certificate for a weekend or a week’s stay at?
- Do you live in a tourist destination and could offer B&B for a weekend or longer? (especially great if it was in conjunction with future orienteering events)
- Are you an artist – do you have a sketch of an orienteering scene, or a great photograph that you could put in a frame?
- Could you ask your local running/sport store to donate an item?
- Do you have a new unused item kicking around your house that you would love to get rid of – it might just be someone else’s treasure!
- Other ideas? Think about what you would like to bid on.
If you have an item to donate, you can bring it with you to the Yukon or send it along with someone who is attending. If you know what you're bringing, you can email jamackeigan[at]hotmail[dot]com. We can do some promotion of the bigger ticket items and have an idea of how many items we will have to set-up.
If you are coming to the NAOCs/COCs, please bid generously! Don’t forget your wallet and/or your cheque book. Cash or cheque is the preferred payment method, but we will be able to take credit cards.
Those of you who have been to one before know that the Silent Auction is a lot of fun, often with frantic bidding as time runs out. You never know what the highly sought after items will be. And if you can’t make it to the Yukon this year, there is always the option of allowing a trusted friend to bid for you! Just give a budget limit and an idea of what you want.
The HPP is very appreciative of all the support we receive and we look forward to seeing you in the Yukon!
If you are donating any items (thank you!), they can be dropped off at package pick-up. The silent auction coordinator, Jennifer Mackeigan, will collect them from there.
As a final reminder, for those who a starting their journeys to Whitehorse, please remember to pack your Silent Auction items. Thanks so much for your support!