Thank you TheInvisibleLog for the kind words! As an experienced orienteer who started competitive ARDF last year I definitely think your description of the cognitive challenge is spot on.
Today was another tremendous day for Team USA. Vadim won the gold medal in today's Classic!! Also, the USA M50 men (Vadim, Nicolai and Bill) earned the bronze medal for team competition. Bob Cooley had a 4th place finish. Alla had a top-10 finish in W35.
That concludes the championship. We are trying to confirm but it appears this may have been the USA's best performance at an ARDF World Championship ever. As a medal recap:
- Ruth Bromer: Foxoring bronze
- M50 team (Vadim Afonkin, Nicolai Mejevoi & Bill Wright): Classic team bronze
- M40 team (Kenneth Harker and Joe Burkhead): Classic team bronze
- Vadim: Classic gold
- M50 team (Vadim, Nicolai & Bill): Classic team bronze
- Plus we had multiple close calls for medals:
-- Bob Cooley had two 4th place finishes
-- Some 6th, 7th and 8th place results in W21, W35, M50, W60 and M70
The event wrapped up today with a nice banquet and the customary exchanging of novelty items plus team photos.
The next World ARDF Championships will be held in Serbia in 2020. The next US ARDF Championship will be hosted by BOK in July, 2019.
Keep following us at https://www.facebook.com/ardfteamusa/