In his blog, Spike brings up the idea of having a Fantasy WOC competition and sketches out some rules, as follows:
"I designed some rules for a fantasy WOC while I was running a few weeks ago. The idea was to come up with a simple way to pick a "fantasy team" for each of the individual WOC races and combine the runners' results.
The rules are simple. Here they are:
1. Before each individual race you pick a team of 4 men and 4 women.
2. You have to pick two of the men and two of the women from this list of nations: Denmark, Switzerland, Great Britain, Czech Republic, Norway, Russia, Finland and Sweden. But, you can only have two runners from a single nation.
3. You have to pick one man and one woman from this list of nations: Estonia, Latvia, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Romania, Austria, Germany, Lithuania, Australia and Ukraine.
4. You have to pick one man and one woman who run for Canada or the U.S.A. (This rule would be waived for any finals if no one qualifies).
5. Your team's score is the sum of the runners places. (For example if you pick a runner who finishes 3rd in the race, your team gets 3 points).
6. If your runner doesn't finish or gets disqualified, you get points based on the number of starters in the race. (For example, if 60 people start the race, any and all DQs or DNFs count as 60 points).
I came up with the basic rules to entertain myself while I was running. I'm not actually arranging a competition, but I might pick a team before each individual race just for entertainment."
I like Spike's idea. If anyone is interested, the start list for tomorrow's Classic distance qualifier is posted at http://www.woc2004.com/bilagor/b131Men.xls
for men and http://www.woc2004.com/bilagor/b130Women.xls