Training Log: fossil
In the last 7 days:
|activity|| # ||time||miles||km||+m|
| ||XC-ski-freestyle||1|| 1:59:20|
| ||Run||2|| 1:24:49|
| ||Ski-running-with-poles||1|| 1:04:00|
| ||Total||4|| 4:28:09|
XC-ski-freestyle race 39:20 
shoes: Madshus Nanosonic 118
ESWG 10k race at the ski jump complex. 4 x 2.5k laps. First time I've skied here. Definitely a challenging course. I think I went with the wrong skis though. I had 2 pairs waxed, the "new" hard-track pair with LF that I was planning to race on, and an old soft pair with NF to warm up on.
There were 2 significant hurdles to deal with on the course. The big climb was several inches deep in soft sugar snow, which favored the soft skis. And the 180+ degree downhill corner that was scraped to ice favored the hard track skis. I probably should have gone with the soft skis to handle the deep sugar better, even though they're 20 years old. But they had no fluoro on them at all, and I was worried about losing it on that downhill corner where they wouldn't bite in. As it turned out, once the race started there was someone out there raking loose snow onto that corner, so it was a bit different every time around. Need to start rebuilding the quiver if I'm going to be racing again.
Came away with an age-group silver medal, 3+ mins behind Tim H. Not sure he should have been able to put that much time on me, hence my suspicion about wrong ski choice. But I was definitely not anticipating deep sugar. That was poor planning to not have covered that possibility.
Really concerned about the classic race tomorrow. It's going to be klister, obviously. The thing is I'm wondering if they're going to be able to set a track that has any firm base to it, or if it's just going to turn to sugar like today. Probably need to get there early to scope things out and come up with a plan.
shoes: Madshus TXC 235 skate wet snow
A few laps of warmup plus a few extra runs through the hard icy downhill corner to find the best line through it. Then another easy lap after the race to warm down.
Discovered at this point that in the one spot on the climb just after the parking lot where the sugar was so deep that there was no glide at all, I could get more speed with single-pole skate (aka coach skate) than with V1. Too bad I didn't try that during the race. The guy I was behind for the last 3 laps was herringboning that section. Except for right there he was putting time on me on the climbs and I was gaining it back from him on the descents. (Probably due to using the HT skis.)
Run 39:32 
shoes: Brooks Cascadia7
Easy run to get some activity in.
ESG re-opened registration for XC today so we signed up. I've never skied at the ski jumps area before. I just know it's going to be so much fun after reading how much Alex loves to ski there.
shoes: Brooks Cascadia7
10 x 40 secs hill-bounding up the cemetery hill
shoes: VJ Integrator (4)
Beam Hill trails. Nice run in the afternoon sunshine, pausing occasionally to toss deadfall off the trail. Still a bit of snow in places but not enough to have needed the O shoes. The only place that icy was the driveway.
- Feb 13 [0w, 5d]: ? - EMPO - Pineridge XC - Ski- and Snowshoe-O
- Feb 21 [1w, 6d]: ? - ROC - Harriet Hollister Spencer State Recreation Area - Ski-O
- Feb 27 [2w, 5d]: ? - NYSSRA Championships Ski-O
- Mar 11 [4w, 4d]: ? - North American and US SkiO Championships
- Mar 18 [5w, 4d]: ? - US Individual Championships (M/L/S) doubtful
- Apr 1 [7w, 4d]: ? - OCIN Flying Pig XX
- Apr 16 [9w, 5d]: ? - 2016 NEOC Troll Cup: High Rock
- Apr 22 [10w, 4d]: Y - West Point National Meet
- Apr 30 [11w, 5d]: ? - Raid the Sanctuary II
- May 8 [12w, 6d]: ? - Billygoat 2016
- May 14 [13w, 5d]: ? - DVOA Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- Jun 29 [20w, 2d]: ? - Arctic Midnight Orienteering 2016
- Jun 29 [20w, 2d]: ? - Rocky Mt. Orienteering Festival
- Jul 16 [22w, 5d]: ? - Swiss-O-Week 2016
- Jul 23 [23w, 5d]: ? - 2016 Icefields Parkway Orienteering Festival
- Jul 23 [23w, 5d]: ? - O-Ringen 2016
- Aug 27 [28w, 5d]: ? - Ellicottville Adventure Run & Hike
- Sep 3 [29w, 5d]: ? - 2016 Corn Maze Champs
- Sep 11 [30w, 6d]: ? - ROC - CNYO Regaine - Letchworth State Park East
- Sep 17 [31w, 5d]: Y - 2016 US Two-Day Classic Championships
- Sep 23 [32w, 4d]: Y - North American Orienteering Championships
- Mar 4, 2018 [107w, 6d]: ? - World Cup and World Masters SkiO Championships
all weeks |