Middle distance race at Pt Pinole. One big error when I overran #3 and ran around for 3 minutes. Then I looked at the map scale and figured out it was 1:7500. No other big errors, just slow. As seems to be the case, I felt a lot better after than I did before or during.
Map and route
1 was a nice control, along a line of relatively subtle hills. Saw several folks down below. The flag was tucked in.
2. On compass, could see it from a bit.
3. Overran it badly, partly because I thought it was 1:10000, partly just not into the map yet. Took a bit to figure it out, probably 3 minute error.
4. Stuck to trails, somewhat chastened by the debacle on 3.
5. Straight, could see that it would be off to the right a bit, and saw it high in the reentrant.
6. Drifted a bit left on the way there, some relatively unmapped topography in the area was disconcerting. Had to come in from the left.
7. This was ok, trails part of the way, then rough compass.
8. Too far left, then too far right, finally hit the damn berm and easy from there..
11. Trail part of the way, easy.
12. lost 30 seconds or so going first to the wrong rootstock.
14. Could see it from the prior control. Just hard to get three.
17. Wasted a lot of time trying to dodge poison oak.
18. Tired going up and over the small hill.
19. Tired, took a tumble beofre 19.
Nice to visit with BAOC friends. Kathy came with the girls and her new beau Mark. A pretty fine day, nice and suny, but pretty wet running after yesterday's rain.