Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: jack_wright

In the 7 days ending Mar 3:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running5 12:07:50 57.91(12:34) 93.2(7:49) 4727
  Total5 12:07:50 57.91(12:34) 93.2(7:49) 4727

» now

Sunday Mar 3 #

Running (Orienteering) 1:59:20 [3] 17.4 km (6:51 / km) +782m 5:36 / km

Tim Watkins - Silver How long O.

Mass start race but the butterfly loops were huge and try as I might, I could not keep up with Spongey so I was soon on my own.

Had a good time trying to remember how to orienteer. It was going well until the long leg where i did a lot of faffing and then lost 5 mins in the boulder field trying to find 16. Then quite a few scrappy controls before the finish. Good fun, would like more of these type of races. A nice cross between fell-running and orienteering and perfect practice for nav leg. Lots of fell runners in attendance.

Thursday Feb 28 #

6 PM

Running 54:10 [4] 9.9 km (5:28 / km)

Wasn't going to do the track session but ended up feeling okay on the WU so just gave a go at 80%.

Wednesday Feb 27 #

4 PM

Running 54:10 [1] 9.2 km (5:53 / km) +35m 5:47 / km

Some easy jogging down the river. Quads destroyed but legs don't feel as tired as expected.

Tuesday Feb 26 #

8 AM

Running 7:35:00 [2] 48.0 km (9:29 / km) +3700m 6:51 / km

Abraham's Tearound on the hottest February day on record - loving life!

Set out on the Tearound with my fellow adventurer T Fellbaum on what looked to be a scorcher of a day with minimal wind and plenty of sun. Legs felt a bit naff on the run out to Cat Bells and glute giving me problems as per but soon went away once we got into the fells. Made good progress through Cat Bells, Robinson and into Buttermere. The sun really started to get to work on the climb up High Stile as it verged on uncomfortably hot. Summited High Stile in 3 hours and then found a great line down to the tarn avoiding Red Pike via some half decent scree.

Managed to avoid the very tempting cafe / pub corridor of temptation in Buttermere and headed into the woods on the lower slopes of Whiteless Pike for the last of the three big climbs for the day. It was now really quite hot, I felt like I was cooking and the pace had slowed dramatically. I knew we were both feeling it and it was hard to get into any rhythm as breathing was so hard. We stopped a couple of times and Thomas looked a little worse for wear. I started chatting to some posh grannies who took the piss of us for only having done 3 hills out of 10 in 4 hours. We got to the top of Whiteless Pike and I turned round and Tom was sprawled out on the floor. I took a few pictures and then made him drink some water but we were running low. We shuffled on up the small climb to Wandope and Tom was properly done. I got a little concerned and after a bit of lying down we stumbled to the top of the beck below Grasmoor. It looked bone dry but we managed to find a trickle of water a few small puddles and after dousing our t-shirts and drinking lots Tom looked to have perked up. We did a sub-16 km for the first time in about an hour and everything seemed to be going well. Tom led a fairly speedy pace up the lower slopes of Hopegill and I chatted about him making a good recovery and how you had to overcome hurdles to really appreciate something like this. There wasn't a lot of chat coming back my way and I realised he was lying on the floor again.

After 20mins of lying around we realised Tom's day was done. Don't want to be silly and push him into heat stroke etc. After making sure he was okay to get down on his own, we parted ways and Tom ambled down to the Coledale Inn and I carried on.

Really enjoyed the rest of the hills. Lots of short ups and downs and amazing views. Saw Neil T on the top of Eel Crag before heading down the ridge collecting Sail, Causey Pike and Rowling End. Got a good line on the contour to the bottom of the Barrow climb and then trotted up to the top of the last hill. Chose the steep descent to the right off of Barrow which finished off the legs nicely for the long death march back to Keswick. It was at this point I realised I hadn't been eating for a while and I started to bonk quite dramatically. Stuffed a few haribo down me and trudged back through Portinscale and back to the Tearoom. The last 30mins were pretty horrific but dug deep and finished with a fairly respectable time. Shame Tom couldn't finish as we'd done the hard bit but he was stuck in the realms of dehydration and so it was definitely the right decision.

I really enjoyed pushing myself throughout the day and definitely want to do more long ventures like this. The traverse was good but we never really pushed at all and finished with gas in the tank. I'd love to do this route on a cooler day to see what time is possible.

Monday Feb 25 #

4 PM

Running 45:10 [2] 8.7 km (5:11 / km) +210m 4:38 / km

Easy trot up Whitbarrow with Paul

« Earlier | Later »