Orienteering 1:17:57  ** 8.06 km (9:40 / km) +130m 8:57 / km
spiked:13/24c shoes: 2006 VJ Falcons
GO District, Chobham Common.
Brown course - 8.06km, 130m climb, 24 controls.
In theory should have been relatively simple.
- we had crap map printing - mine was mostly pink rough open and had an almost empty control circle where a ditch was supposedly "printed". Well there certainly wasn't a control feature in the centre :-O Light greens weren't visible, most blues i.e. marshes etc could barely be seen.
- The survey seemed very dodgy in places. Missing paths/tracks from both map and ground, vegetation mapping very poor in places (esp. around control circles...), far too many gorse bushes not represented. Looking at my old map they've clearly made some updates but not enough...
- The old "cut the circles/line" problem reared its ugly head.
- Sometimes it seemed like they were playing "hide the control"
- Very wet/tussocky/heathery/generally crap underfoot
- And of course the human errors - few too many of them as well
I guess if you have "Power Lines omitted to make it harder" written on your map someone is taking the piss slightly...
Felt I was running well in places - perhaps too well in places, losing contact and hence some of the errors. Def. some wrong route choices as well. However, felt my control flow was on the whole very good.
I made my feelings known to the planner/controller/whoever it was with the course/all controls map at the finish. He tried to plead ignorance. He can bugger off - it was crap. You go out on a course to challenge and enjoy yourself. If the challenge is to work out how much of the map is wrong, then it was one mighty challenge. Enjoyment was out of the window - after wandering around looking for the control on a non-existant feature I was seriously considering giving up/deliberately mispunching or similar to prove a point.
Don't think I've ever orienteered on a map as bad as that, ever. If you can go out to look for new control sites (there were some map changes in the past two years) you can go out to check the map is correct around *all* of your controls. Unless someone really sorts out the map I very much doubt I'll be going back there. And after I enjoyed it last time (Jan '05) as well - guess they avoided the rubbish then...