Orienteering race (Marginata) 1:26:29  9.05 km (9:33 / km) +408m 7:48 / km
ahr:153 max:169 shoes: Salomon XA Pro 3d
Ok so I think I have found an area to add to my list of favourites.
Really enjoyed it out there today - sure there where a few dead leg runs in there but it was runnable and after last week at peterdine if made me very happy to have such a good run.
Also excluding whiteman park - this is the fastest I have gone in a foot-o and faster by 1min30+ per km. very happy.
A few niggles shins held up ok, as did ankles even though I tried my best to break both of them on a number of occasions. Staked it once and got cut up for my efforts.
1) Pulled up way early and found someone elses point - that threw me for a bit but wasnt too bad drifted around the controls a bit but sitll hit my mark.
2) went a bit to far east but wasnt exactly a hard control so picked it up with little fuss.
3) Bang on it
4) Drifted west and went through the green to the west of 4 - silly - got 4 fine once I had got through. Other people caused me to drift this leg too :(
5) semi contoured around even though trace looks pretty straight. lol. Over shot it slightly and came back.
6) Pretty much straight to where I expected it to be and it was there.
7) Planned to hit the road for about a km and then come in quite near 9 and follow the ridge along. About 500-600m along the bush looked way to inviting so went in - figured due north would do. Passed the eastern stoney ground on my left and hit the boulder cluster just east of 7 - a small scout and found 7.
8) Top of a SFG. excellent. I knew what I was looking for but dicked around a bit in here - got it in reasonable time though.
9) Flush onto it.
10) Flush again. A bit of confidence up.
11) Flush take 3 - woohoo
12) Poop - haha went west of it and a small search to find it but longer than required.
13) flush could see it from well away which was nice.
14) Almost came unstuck here - had drifted west towards the track and was well above the point - lucky it was easily visible and people where there and my trace shows my aggressive turn towards it. Distance was about right though so i knew it was close when I spotted it - technical ground might have been an issue though.
15) Long leg, went high and well pretty much straight, came around onto it nicely.
16) um there is some green stuff in between 15/16 and this is where I stacked it! I was too far north coming out of this but luckily another runner had exited it so I scooted around and got the point.
(yes it was a strong finish)
20) some hesitation but flush... also came across a wild photographer - so tried to look like I was moving fast ... then had to work out if I was running the right direction - only about 30 degree out haha.
Fin - couldn't get the legs going for a sprint so put in what I could.
All in all very happy! in the mix on times for a change!