Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Euzie

In the 7 days ending Aug 20, 2017:

activity # timemileskm+m
  running-trail4 12:15:06 70.15(10:29) 112.89(6:31) 3743
  Road bike1 1:26:05
  Total5 13:41:11 70.15 112.89 3743

» now

Sunday Aug 20, 2017 #

1 PM

Road bike 1:26:05 [3]

43.7km, 488m climb, 30.5km/h
Quick little cruz

Saturday Aug 19, 2017 #

12 PM

running-trail 1:46:40 [2] 19.6 km (5:27 / km) +457m 4:52 / km
shoes: Salomon S-lab sense 6

Garm died just before 16km, still think distance and time will be roughly right. Ran from monument above finzean to aboyne through finzean estate then balfour and was tempted to do a loop of birse but mother was waiting to go for a cofee. Nice, didnt really know where i was going most of it so just winged it in the genral direction, this resulted in a fair amount of terrain but all very enjoyable.

Wednesday Aug 16, 2017 #

8 AM

running-trail long 2:23:14 [3] 21.94 km (6:32 / km) +300m 6:07 / km
shoes: Inov-8 x-talon 212

Running adventure- day 3
Very sad and disappointed to have to report this, but a combination of things lead to this as i will now explain.

Firstly- i woke up to find light rain high winds but most importantly that the mist had closed in over the plateau and visibility was down to about 30m. this was fine though i would manage

Secondly-over the trip i had opted to use maps on the OS map app, this basically allowed me to download my route with surrounding OS map rather than carrying 5 separate OS maps which would have added a lot of extra weight. So in the morning I opened the app with a fully charged phone, to find that the map for this days route would not load. This was fine though i would manage, as my route was "fairly" straight i took a bearing in the direction of Avimore 40km away and set off into the mist.

Thirdly- my bearing led me into a rocky bog on a slope at around 8km, i continued but at 9km i slipped, i thought nothing of it at first until i looked at my compass and it was covered in blood. I looked up my arm and saw a deep cut down my wrist bleeding heavily, this concerned me but i /got out some micro poor tape from my bag and taped round my wrist 5 or so times quite tightly. After 10 seconds this was completely soaked through with blood, at this point i was getting seriously concerned, obviously the wrist is not a good place to cut yourself, i thought it wasn't arterial but again I wouldn't know how to be sure and that concerned me, that i didn't know. I got out my bag again slammed a compede on top which didn't stick because of the blood but which i figured might work as it is sort of water proof and then taped very tightly round lots of micro poor tape.

Fourthly- i was aware at this point that i did not have signal and that i had not had signal for the whole day or the 10km or so before camp the previous day. This really concerned me, were things to get worse i would be stuck, i didn't know where i would have signal next. This was the tipping point.

I reset my bearing to my emergency bearing and headed SSE this lead me down to a river which i knew to follow. Running with my hand elevated and my make shift bandage reduced bleeding dramatically. I pinged in two gels to keep my blood sugar up. i got phone reception and notified the fam letting them know rough location if worts came to worse, 12km later after an adrenaline filled run down the mountain i reached Newtonmore, there after getting sterrie strips and a real bandage, and ending my challenge when i was picked up.

Wrist looks fine now bleeding as stopped i will keep an eye on it but should be fine.

Really really gutted to leave my challenge this way. I feel i would have made it if it hadn't been for the combination of all of these things, and altho there is a part of me now saying i should have continued, i realise i probably made the right dissection and definitely learnt some valuable lessons.

Tuesday Aug 15, 2017 #

10 AM

running-trail long 4:22:08 [2] 35.35 km (7:25 / km) +1526m 6:06 / km
shoes: Inov-8 x-talon 212

Running adventure- day 2
I woke to find that the midge situation had escalated, and that the inside of the outer of my tent (if ya get what i mean) was covered in the buggers. It took me about 20 mins to conger up the bravery to face them and pack up camp covering as much skin as possible. During this time and upon setting off i was happy to see that the rain had stoped, this made me happy until about 3km i to my run when it started raining again. The plan was to run the roughly 10km to fort Augusts stop there for a while and eat some stuff then complete the further 26km in the afternoon. The first part of this plan was successful and i arrived into fort augusts happy to see some civilisation even if it was in the form of a quaint little town mobed by American tourists. I sat around for a while and then headed off on the second part of my day. This was firstly a long climb up onto the plateau which went by quite smoothly. Nextly along a large damed loch where there were some extensive works taking place. The wind began to pick up and some heavy showers came and went as i trudged on towards my campsite getting a bit bonky, but not really wanting to eat as i was cautious of how much food i had for the next day. eventually got there and pitched my tent just in time to miss a shower.

Monday Aug 14, 2017 #

2 PM

running-trail long 3:43:04 [2] 36.0 km (6:12 / km) +1460m 5:09 / km
shoes: Inov-8 x-talon 212

Running adventure- day 1
Started at cannich, sky's were over cast and forecast for rain but nothing when setting out. Quickly noticed the pack which just made running feel so much slower. Nevertheless began to plod along at a steady pace, it soon started to rain and stayed like that for the rest of the day bar a few dry spells. Pleasant run through glen affric to ploda falls , some of the paths here had clearly faded since maped and were pretty over grown but was nice enough anyway. Ploda falls were very nice especially on such a wet day. Continued on running up out of the trees on to a kind of plateau along here i managed to pick up a heard of around 40 sheep wich must have though i was there farmer as they all ran down the path in front of me for about 3km, i found this very amusing. I then descended down to glen morrison and the sky's started to clear slightly, i crossed the river a proceeded to my camp spot, my intended spot however was very overgrown so spent a while looking for somewhere new, and found a nice spot under some trees to pitch. This new spot however meant a aprox 1.5km round trip walk for water. Managed to cook my super noddles while attempting to fend of the midges before the rain closed in again at which point i crawled into my tent and beded down for the night.
Note- to try and preserve charge on my garmin i turned it onto "ultratrac" mode which decreases the frequency of GPS reading, it read roughly 2.5km less than what the OS software stated the route would be, i suspect it has cut quite a few corners so my distance will be done of the OS software as it is my honest opinion that it is more accurate.

« Earlier | Later »