Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Mark3

In the 1 days ending May 18:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running - Fell1 7:43:00 35.69(12:58) 57.43(8:04) 3133
  Total1 7:43:00 35.69(12:58) 57.43(8:04) 3133
  [1-5]1 7:41:13

» now

Saturday May 18 #

8 AM

Running - Fell race (Old County Tops) 7:43:00 intensity: (1:47 @0) + (35:18 @1) + (3:42:48 @2) + (2:55:05 @3) + (19:53 @4) + (8:09 @5) 57.43 km (8:04 / km) +3133m 6:20 / km
ahr:134 max:186 shoes: VJ Maxx (10.5)

2nd! With Jack, who I had flown over from Italy especially for the event - and I'm really glad I did! This is definitely my best ever result in anything.

Despite having not run together since OMM C-Class 2016, Jack and I were a really well matched pair. Which is probably more by luck than judgement - he wouldn't mind me saying he's less fit than his peak whereas I'm definitely at mine - we coincided at just the right time for this race.

It was a hot day. Probably not quite as hot as last year, but sunny enough for a visor and Jack had sunglasses. There was a breeze on the very highest tops but it was not a big one.

Determined to set off more sedately than Jake and I did last year, and luckily this was quite easy as the pace at the front was much slower. In about 3rd/4th/5th place for most of the way to the Silver How contour but could see the top two teams. In a pretty solid third by Grasmere. I remarked to Jack that I didn't think that either of the teams ahead of us would be the eventual winner.

Caught by James Harris at the start of Tongue Gill (I said to Jack, 'they will win') and Oli up Dollywaggon (I said to Jack, 'actually, they could win. Definitely top two'). I did not contemplate the possibility of Jack and I making the podium.

Felt a bit asthmatic up the steep climb, very tight chest, which is weird but I have had it at the start of runs before and it's gone away, and it did this time too, which was lucky. Must Google it.

Passed by another few teams on the final ascent to Helvellyn but overtook one immediately on the descent and another at the stream crossing just prior to the CP. I hadn't been counting so had no idea what place we were now in. Stopped as briefly as possible at the CP to refill bottles and down a couple of cups of squash and we were off again.

Feeling pretty strong up the first gentle part of the bog (Jack: 'this reminds me of Norway') and caught Oli's team at the end of the steep bit. Hadn't expected to see them again and after passing them, didn't expect to see them again again. Wrong on both counts.

Contoured a bit higher than other teams to Stake Beck but looking at Strava this seems inconsequential. Passed two more teams around Angle Tarn and at this point it seemed like we'd passed more teams than I'd thought we were ahead of us - but I knew we were still behind James in his snazzy vest.

Still feeling pretty good running up the final Scafell PIke ascent (Jack called me a machine) and nailed the line from the summit into the gully, which justifies the c.4 hours I spent finding over the prior 4 visits. Still running okay over the long slog to Cockley although finding it starting to get tough.

Found the climb up from Cockley really hard and starting to get very nauseated in the heat. This was the area of the route I'd been least certain about so we had some nav discussions, which didn't cost us any time as we still got a decent line, and were probably a useful distraction as both of us were feeling pretty grim. At the top was the main issue for us as it flattened out but we weren't able to pick up the pace at all. Jack was feeling a bit better than me and I tried as hard as I could to stay with him. I'd kept looking round and I hadn't seen any teams behind, in fact we hadn't seen any teams for hours. At Levers Hause we saw James coming back the other way on the out-and-back, and then when we saw no other teams up to Coniston it confirmed we were in 2nd. Given the absence of anyone else I had a glorious minute-or-so of thinking we were going to have an easyish jog back to Langdale.

This daydream was smashed after though when we saw Oli about 90s from the summit, giving us only a 3 minute lead. I did not feel like pushing but it felt like we had too - we knew if they caught us we would have nothing left and so we had to maintain the gap. It felt like we flew down all the way to Wrynose pretty quickly and after a quick check didn't show them behind us, I hoped we'd opened up a decent gap again. Jack struggled a bit on the downhill with a tight chest and had to drop the pace a bit - and suddenly after leaving the road, our gap was down to 40s. It was all or nothing, so we gave it everything across to Blea Tarn and down the wall line...

I had originally been planning to go through Side Farm but Jack favoured the road option - I thought there wasn't much in it so I said that was fine - but that I would rather go all the way around the road loop rather than through the campsite because I was sure I had read something in the race rules about the campsite, but I couldn't remember what it was because I hadn't been planning on going that way. I thought it was only 100m difference and at the bottom of the zigzags, I looked back and didn't see them at the top and so thought we would be okay.

Strava tells me that at this decision point, we had a 90s gap, but that this road-choice lost us a whole minute.

Jack was really struggling on the road at the end. In sight of the finish tent, I said to him that it's not like we needed to push, because there was no-one in front and no-one close behind - it's a good job I glanced around to check as Oli was bearing down on us, way too close for comfort. It was hard to gauge their speed and whether they were liable to catch or not, but we didn't take the chance and increased our pace to the maximum our complaining bodies would put up with.

Finished 17s ahead. Muscles spasming all over the place once over the line.

Thanks Oli, there's no way we would have pushed that hard and achieved that time without you chasing us! It was a great race.

We were well behind James in first, c.35mins, but he's always performed amazingly well in the heat, so pretty happy for him actually.

Strava time gap analysis is really interesting; we had

- maybe 7 mins gap to Oli at Scafell Pike summit
- maybe 5 mins arriving at Cockley, but looks like they stopped for a while giving us a 12 minute gap, which was then only 5 mins at top of ascent, 2-3mins at Coniston

So we lost 7 mins on the climb and a further 2-3 on the flattish bit - not what I'd have predicted without the data! Data is king.

Ate 3.5 blocks of KMC, which probably wasn't enough.
Drank 6 bottles = 3L water; 2.5 from the (main) CPs and one bottle from Calf Cove. Probably also not enough, despite the conscious effort to drink as much as possible.

« Earlier | Later »