Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: L-Jackson

In the 7 days ending Sep 19, 2009:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering1 2:00:00
  Running1 1:53:27 13.1(8:40) 21.08(5:23)
  Total2 3:53:27 13.1 21.08

» now

Saturday Sep 19, 2009 #

Orienteering (Course Setting) 2:00:00 [3]
shoes: PI Synchro Seek Trail

Middle Distance Course Setting. Started early and it was a good thing I did. We managed to get most controls out in time for everyone helping to run the sprint (and I watched some). Then we hung around the Sprint venue and pestered the Sprint crew endlessly until we had the control boxes we needed to wrap up the Middle Course. Finished off with a sweep of the northern 1/2 of the course to wake up the boxes right before the starts. I also managed to get another 1.5km sprint out to control #211 (the mud pit) when the first MP came in. Everything checked out OK.

The task was made much easier with tons of help from Sergey, William, and Kameron. In Kameron's log she said she was the 'stake Sherpa' I guess that was a pretty appropriate label.

The course turned out well (from a logistics standpoint) and although parts had to pass through some relatively level terrain to get back to the finish I was very happy with the courses as well.

Sunday Sep 13, 2009 #

Running race 1:53:27 [3] 13.1 mi (8:40 / mi)
shoes: PI - SyncroFloat

I have been a little lax in my logging over the last 2 weeks (not that there was a tremendous amount to report) but thought I had better add the 1/2-mary.

My goal going in was 2:10 but apparently I discounted the adrenaline factor. My last couple long training runs were quite slow compared to my race times today.

Kameron and I did not start too well - we were both in line at the bathrooms when the siren sounded. The marathon started a couple minutes late and I swear the 1/2 started a touch early. We had chips but our official time would be from the siren. We managed to cross the start with the very end of the pack. There were probably 50-75 others who had it worse than us.

For the most part it was a pretty uneventful run - maybe a little hillier than I anticipated. After getting to the towpath at about mile 8 I started to feel a bit sore in the knees and ankles and we slowed down a touch. But for miles 10 and 11 we managed an 8:30 pace and I knew I would have a chance at 2 hours so I had to keep it up. The last mile was really tough - I think I told myself several dozen times during the last mile that I would never try a marathon.

« Earlier | Later »