Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Doris

In the 7 days ending Apr 21:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running3 2:20:00 14.0(10:00) 22.53(6:13)
  Strength2 2:00:00
  Orienteering 2 1:35:53 7.98(12:01) 12.84(7:28)
  Total6 5:55:53 21.98 35.37

» now

Saturday Apr 21 #

Event: QOC Granite

Orienteering 58 [3] 3.0 mi (19 / mi)
(injured) shoes: inov-8 X-Claw 275

@ Granite.

I wasn't sure I was going to make this one on time. The boys were out of town hiking the AT and Edda's caregiver was late. I've never started a course so late in the afternoon (almost exactly 1:30 pm) and I thought for sure I'd be the last one starting, but it wasn't true. There were at least 2 people that started within a minute or two of me.

A gorgeous day & a hurt hamstring. I tried to not focus too much on the hamstring and run within my abilities & not injure myself anymore. I paced myself slower and more evenly which I've never done before orienteering. Usually I'm walking or I'm running pretty hard. Running easy is mostly OK for the hamstring, what hurts it most is when I inadvertently hook a foot under a branch on the ground and then I'm tripping and having to suddenly catch myself mid-stride.

I'm not used to running with people around me, I don't like catching up to people who are on the same course. My inclination is to stop and wait for them to go ahead.

I messed up on #4 and ended up at #6. This map seemed somehow smaller? I don't quite understand what I mean, but there was more squinting going on. This was also the first time that I remembered some features from last year - that feeling like, oh yes, I've been at this exact spot before.

Friday Apr 20 #

Running 1:00:00 [3] 6.0 mi (10:00 / mi)
(injured) shoes: Saucony Swerve (Orange)

@ C & O

original workout: 6 miles total: easy / 8:15 / easy / 8:15 / easy / 8:15

I had driven 6 hours on Thurs to see a friend near Philly (back & forth) and my hamstring was bothering me most of the time I was in the car. I was pretty sure I was going to have to scrap this week's workout, but I'm ever hopeful.

Friday was a beautiful day, I went to the canal and did a long 2 mile warm up to loosen everything up. Hamstring was cranky to start off, but by the time I was ready to run the first 8:15 mile, it seemed like it might be OK. Started the mile and by the time I was 1/8 of the way through it I could tell that it would not be a good idea to continue. Turned it into 6 miles easy. Gah, I'm really injured now. At least it was nice to be outside. Saw some enthusiastic birders on the trail. When I'm running easy, it's mostly fine - I need to quit running workouts for a while.

Thursday Apr 19 #

Strength 1:00:00 [3]

@ Rockville swim

regular strength.

Wednesday Apr 18 #

Running 50:00 [3] 5.0 mi (10:00 / mi)
(injured) shoes: Saucony Swerve (Orange)

@King Farm loop

Beautiful day, 5 miles easy easy - lots of pauses to stretch out hamstring. Sometimes felt good, oftentimes felt achy. Procrastinating on the workout, but couldn't resist the weather.

Tuesday Apr 17 #

Strength 1:00:00 [3]

@ Rockville swim

regular strength, added in some hamstring exercises.

Monday Apr 16 #

(rest day)

P's note:

As to the running, do 6 tomorrow. Start out with an easy mile, run the second mile around 8:15, then easy for mile three, then 8:15, then easy, then another 8:15, then just a little jogging. Thurs and Sat easy 4. Sun easy 7.

Sunday Apr 15 #

Running 30:00 [3] 3.0 mi (10:00 / mi)
(injured) shoes: Saucony Swerve (Orange)

@ Christine's loop

3 mile loop. hamstring took a long time to warm up. not great. boo.

Orienteering 1:34:55 [3] 4.98 mi (19:04 / mi)
(injured) shoes: inov-8 X-Claw 275

@ Mason Neck

Vince was game for junior training on Sunday, we left the house at 8:45 am to get some cash and breakfast. He decided to wear jeans which I did not say anything about even though I wanted to, because I'm already using a tremendous amount of parental capital to get him to even go orienteering, I don't have very much left to spend on choice of clothing. I was relieved that he decided to wear trail shoes instead of his Vans skateboarding shoes which he has been wearing the past few weeks to the meets. I packed him some gym shorts. He asked if Boris knew that he has never trained for running & I said that he knew that and thought it would still be OK.

We got to Mason Neck a little early and introduced ourselves and figured out what the workout was going to be. I made sure that Vince seemed OK & then let him be. I was worried that he was going to be dropped really early and then feel discouraged, but that didn't happen. He did get dropped, but I think he was OK with that.

I didn't want to go out on my course until Vince got back from the training, so I spent a good part of the hour being entertained by Inara. I convinced her mother to let me borrow her for a few moments and we had a good time together. A cutie! I think I taught her how to count to 5 using those prickly spheres on the ground, so I'm going to take credit for her getting to the 5th control always. Then Vince came back & updated me (said it was good & fine and that everyone else was leaping & weaving in and out of the trees and he said that even if he was fit enough to run, he'd totally just run through everything) and we headed out on our courses. I handed Inara over to Jon T who seemed surprised to have a toddler in his possession, but was fine with it.

Vince was going to do Orange, I did Green. I was limited by my sore hamstring & I was sad about that. I was also limited by the fact that it was completely flat and I don't like taking bearings & estimating distance. Mostly I was sad about my hamstring. I got into a few pockets of other very competent green-course people and then I get into an mini existential crisis - am I really orienteering? or am I just following people? what is the meaning of this? so I waited at 8 to stretch out my hamstring and for all the other green-course people to get out of sight and then on my way to 9, it was clear that I was not orienteering, I was merely following people. Then it started to rain.

I finished Green in not last place and I chatted with a few people and saw that Vince was still out on Orange. It was starting to really rain and get cold and I was shivering and headed to the car.

Time passed. I started to worry about Vince who now was out in the rain going on 1:45 min. I hoped that he would be able to find his way home and he wasn't too lost or cold. I had given him a whistle before he left, so that was comforting. The car was fogging up from my breath. A little after 2 hours, he slid into the passenger seat of the car and said - holy crap, that took forever. I asked - you found all of them? He said - yes, I found all of them. Then I said - holy crap, you found all of them. Then he said, oh I also found a geocache out there and traded in my pen for this cool pair of sunglasses. (He puts on a crazy pair of yellow sunglasses). I was like - you went geocaching while you were orienteering?!?

Then we went to lunch at Wegmans, hit crazy traffic on the way home, got home at 3:45 pm and Vince said, omg mom, we spent 7 hours orienteering today that is just plain crazy.

« Earlier | Later »