Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: kPa

In the 7 days ending Nov 30:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running6 16:37:55 93.12(10:43) 149.86(6:40) 4991
  Total6 16:37:55 93.12(10:43) 149.86(6:40) 4991
averages - sleep:6.9

» now

Saturday Nov 30 #

4 AM

Running race 10:55:00 [5] 59.3 mi (11:03 / mi) +4009m 9:08 / mi
slept:5.0 shoes: Salomon ultra 6

Given I had to be up at 2am I had a good amount of sleep. I was feeling fairly relaxed about the whole thing.
I felt good from the start. There were a few girls who went out faster than me but by about 10km I was toing and froing with Amanda and Dominique at the front. It was after the big climb up Table Mountain (25km) that I took the lead more definitely. I did doubt myself a bit as I’m not used to taking the lead so early on, but the pace felt comfortable and very sustainable. There isn’t a whole lot else to say about the rest of the race. I didn’t have any low points or wobbles. The only section that felt a bit tough was from about 60-75k. It was the ‘easiest’ section (all runnable) and all in the sun. I think I got quite hot, but after this there was a shady section and I felt great again. My quads held out and I was descending well right until the end.
I was received lots of conflicting information about the gap between myself and Emily so didn’t fully relax until the last 20k or so. I still felt fairly fresh at the end and could have pushed a lot more in the final 10k if I needed to (not quite NDW 50 fresh, but close!). The record hadn’t been on my mind at all. I didn’t even know what it was until someone told me at the final aid station. We were lucky with the weather though (it was overcast for the first half of the race) which definitely helped with running a fast time. There was plenty of drenching myself with iced water at the aid stations. The course was more technical that I was expecting. There were a few easy sections but most of it was pretty gnarly and there were a few scrambling sections which suited me.
No issues with nutrition. Spring gels, Mountain fuel & coke at aid stations, probably equating to over 80g carb/hr. A pretty perfect day really. I’m not sure I’ve ever enjoyed a race so much. We have been so well looked all week. The whole experience here has been awesome.

Friday Nov 29 #

slept:8.0 (rest day)

An awful lot of sitting around

Thursday Nov 28 #

12 PM

Running (easy) 44:00 [2] 5.6 mi (7:51 / mi) +6m 7:50 / mi
slept:9.5 shoes: Salomon Predict RA

I slept well last night and for the first time since I arrived I feel completely healthy.
I ran along the paved seafront. Flat, sunny. Feeling good.

Wednesday Nov 27 #

9 AM

Running (easy) 1:32:00 [2] 6.8 mi (13:32 / mi) +72m 13:06 / mi
slept:7.0 shoes: Salomon ultra 6

Didn't get in until quite last last night, struggled to get to sleep and early start today. A group of us took the cable car up Table Mountain and ran the course down to Constantia Nek. Super slow, some walking, lots of stopping. It was a long time in the sun though. We had lunch by the beach then went back to the hotel. Felt really tired in the afternoon. Tried to nap but wasn't able to.

Tuesday Nov 26 #

6 PM

Running (easy) 1:03:00 [2] 4.5 mi (14:00 / mi) +324m 11:26 / mi
slept:8.5 shoes: Salomon ultra 6

Very chilled morning. Went for a bit of a walk around Sea point. I'm still not feeling 100%. A bit snuffly and on and off sore throat. In the afternoon I went for a driving tour around the the course with my crew, Nick. It was really useful to be able to be able to take a look at all the hills, checkpoints, visualise the course etc.
In the evening it was Tuesday Trails, an enormous community run to which over 300 people showed up. I ran with 'ideas', the second slowest group. Very steady, stop-start run around Signal Hill, reverse UTCT route. Felt fine.

Monday Nov 25 #

8 AM

Running (moderate) 1:00:55 [3] 9.22 mi (6:36 / mi) +20m 6:34 / mi
slept:9.0 shoes: Salomon Predict RA

I slept really well. I could have slept for longer but set an alarm as I need to prepare myself for the 4am race start (!).
I did the moderate today but now realised it was supposed to be tomorrow. Oops. Having just seen that IG post, I now feel especially bad!
I did the session pre-breakfast (but had a banana) - if I waited until after the extravagant hotel buffet it would be evening before I felt ready to run. I ran along the paved seafront. Very pleasant. Feeling fairly fresh. No signs of the cold first thing but now I feel a tiny bit snuffly again. Really minor though so I'm not worried.

Sunday Nov 24 #

2 PM

Running (easy) 1:23:00 [2] 7.7 mi (10:47 / mi) +560m 8:48 / mi
slept:1.0 shoes: Salomon ultra 6

I'm not sure that I slept at all on the plane. Perhaps for a few mins here and there. They were so busy serving us meals all the time that they didn't turn the lights off for very long at all.
Arrived at the hotel in the morning, dumped my bags and went for a walk whilst waiting for my room to be ready. I felt really rubbish - tired and sudden onset coryzal symptoms. My nose was streaming and I was having visions of spending the next 2 days in bed with the flu again. I considered not running but it was such a nice day so decided to set off running but just walk if I felt rubbish. In the end I was fine. Not amazing but pretty good considering the lack of sleep and how I felt earlier. My 'cold' almost completely dried up. I ran up and around Signal Hill following the race route. Amazing views. I was surprised at how rocky and loose it was. There were lots of little trails and I found it quite hard to stay on route, hence this run taking longer than I anticipated. Comfortably warm (22 degrees).

« Earlier | Later »