Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: PixieJ

In the 7 days ending Oct 31:

activity # timemileskm+ft
  Walking9 27:23:18 68.75(23:54) 110.64(14:51) 12283
  Total9 27:23:18 68.75(23:54) 110.64(14:51) 12283

» now

Friday Oct 30 #

9 AM

Walking 1:33:07 [3] 3.19 mi (29:11 / mi) +1113ft 21:56 / mi

Was planning on heading up Skiddaw but it didn't look like the rain was going to ease up until early afternoon so took the easy option and decided to do a couple of Simon's Wainwright's with him.
Ravens Crag and back.
11 AM

Walking 1:54:04 [3] 3.77 mi (30:15 / mi) +573ft 26:27 / mi

Simon's second bag of the day was Castle Crag. Couldn't resist the opportunity to do this again as I'd enjoyed it so much on Wednesday.
Parked in Seathwaite we walked through Rosthwaite joining Cumbria Way. Headed up and around the north east side of the crag, climbed to the top and headed back down on the south west side towards Seathwaite.
With the promise of some sunshine it didn't fail to please. Views were wonderful.
3 PM

Walking 1:10:00 [3] 4.2 mi (16:40 / mi) +20ft 16:36 / mi

Headed out along Derwent Water to meet Simon coming down from his Walla Crag walk. Sunset pics were there for the taking. A good way to finish the week.

Thursday Oct 29 #

10 AM

Walking 3:04:06 [3] 8.96 mi (20:33 / mi) +1486ft 17:45 / mi

Weather grim yet again. Decided I'd do retail therapy but the number of people waiting outside shops to get in just put me off that idea.
Looked at the map and decided I'd head up past the Castlerigg stone circle and on to claim Low Rigg and High Rigg. Rain, rain, rain. Headed back through the fields past Castlerigg Farm and back into Keswick.

Wednesday Oct 28 #

10 AM

Walking 5:53:49 [3] 13.38 mi (26:27 / mi) +3013ft 21:48 / mi

Raining again. However, I wanted to do my planned Cat Bells walk so I caught the 10:30 ferry to Hawes End and headed up to Skegill Bank and Cat Bells with the many other families who were taking their children on their first ever mountain climb. I'd like a £1 for every time I heard, "if you manage to do this you can have an ice cream later..." (now where have I heard about that bribe before?!). Rain had eased off by the time I got to Cat Bells but the wind was very gusty.
Soon left the families behind as I headed on over Maiden Moor to High Spy. By this time the wind and hail was pretty grim so I was pleased to start heading down through Tongue Gill. My intention was to head to the Cumbria Way at the bottom but I decided to take the footbridge over the Gill and use the higher path which took me to the west side of Castle Crag. One of Simon's bucket list, I decided I might just as well head up and have a look. I was rewarded with some glorious views all around.
Headed back to Hawes End via the footpath along the lower slopes of Cat Bells. This was a fabulous path with lovely views, just a shame it was too wet to take pics. By the time I got to Hawes End I realised I'd missed the last ferry back so there was nothing for it but to walk the same 3 miles back to Keswick that I'd walked the day before. Thankfully I met up with a Yorkshire man who had taken his seven year old lad Oscar for the Cat Bells walk, and we chatted all the way back to Keswick. What a delight Oscar was, he was tired but carried on a good pace, telling me all bout his mum and his sister, how he was going to play battleships when he got back and how very much he was looking forward to pizza and chocolate. The last 3 miles were an unexpected delight.

Tuesday Oct 27 #

9 AM

Walking 5:57:23 [3] 15.9 mi (22:29 / mi) +1733ft 20:22 / mi

From Keswick I set out along the shore of Derwent water and walked as far as I could before the waterside footpath ran out. Headed up to the road and found a gap in the wall which gave me access to a small footpath that led up through the trees to find the main footpath leading to Ashness Bridge. Continued on through Ashness Wood before descending to meet Watendlath Beck. Once again the rain was pretty incessant but at least my feet were nice and dry in my new boots. Sheltered in a barn to eat a bar at Watendlath barn then headed south west around Brund Fell before arriving in Rosthwaite, Considered catching a bus back to Keswick but pressed on north along Cumbria Way through Borrowdale Woods which were absolutely stunning. Continued on through Grange, Manesty Park, Brandelhow Park and on to Hawes End. Carried on along Cumbria Way to Portinscale and Keswick. Wet but happy I had an early bath before heading out to buy olives and crisps to have with the evening's pre-prandial.

Monday Oct 26 #

1 PM

Walking 1:56:50 [3] 4.96 mi (23:33 / mi) +898ft 20:07 / mi

Bought some new boots and tested them out on a short walk up to Castle Crag and back along Derwent Water.

Sunday Oct 25 #

9 AM

Walking 4:02:43 [3] 9.38 mi (25:53 / mi) +2531ft 20:37 / mi

Got a lift from Simon to Ambleside as I'd decided to do the Fairfield Horseshoe. As soon as I'd been dropped off I was caught in a squally Hail shower. On the way up I kept being hit by more of these hail showers and by the time I'd got to the scramble up the rocks at Hart Crag I could hardly move in the gusts of wind (40mph+) and hail. Water had run off my walking trousers into my boots and I was starting to get very cold. I began to worry what more was to come and whether I'd cope if there was any more scrambling to do. Nothing for it but to be sensible and head back, running some of the grassy slopes just to try and warm up. After an hour the sun came out and by the time I got back to Ambleside I'd warmed up a bit. The town was heaving with tourists so, as I had a few hours to kill before being picked up by Simon, I decided to do another walk.
2 PM

Walking 1:51:16 [3] 5.01 mi (22:13 / mi) +916ft 18:56 / mi

Walk to from Ambleside to Loughrigg Tarn and back.

« Earlier | Later »