Was happy with some of my middle race and annoyed with other parts, and had a good energy going into the long. Knew I had capability like other guys, just I needed to keep focus on my own race and hope my knee would hold throughout. A bit of tape on the knee to be safe.
1. A long taped section out to start kite, used to browse the second long leg. Thought slight right line was best. Came past start kite, on a bearing, follow the contour boom. Stopped to check 2
2. Off I went on a bearing, a little clumsy up and down when could keep it flatter, but good on the line, up to the ridge and follow all the way to green. Passed some monster chanterelles ! It was quite straightforward hit the steep hill up over into the marsh and hit cobtrol. Green was quite shitty. When followi nu the marsh to cobtrol it was so easy to cut in but I messed it up and overshot it. Left line seemed most popular and looks quite quick but didn’t spot before
3. Down under crag, across renetrant and contour round. Boom. Crossing the large rentrant almost felt like I was going too far, a fools mistake but possible to think you had already crossed it.
4. A nice long leg. Had spotted path half way but Hadn’t spotted path option for full route. Straight looked good. Happy with route. But I still feel a bit awkward keeping a smooth flow the whole way. When reaching the path crossing, I had to slow to see the path. Then when cutting through the green I really stuck to a bearing and aimed for the large marsh. I hesitated in the green which is where I lost some time. And also near start of leg. Cobtrol entry perfect
5. A change of mindset on short leg. Bearing downhill look for the spur, green edge. Small hesitation on the hill top as boulder was hidden behind the green
6. Another short leg, through the green shit felt over on the path. Up to crags. Was a little unsure of the exact entry, and visualization was poor, but kept simple on top of big crag and behind. Boom
7. Long leg again, oooh fun tricky. Just set the bearing to start with and power through. Built up a plan as I went along. Really satisfied with this leg. My 1 2 3 technique worked really well, just aiming for marsh, green top, gap, gap, path and boom. Into control quick water break then up past the green, right was a little quicker here. Legs were feeling a little tired here
8. Short tricky leg. Really told myself to focus. On bearing past large rentrant then keeping steep on my left and head up for small hill. Boom. Tricky entry tho very diffuse
9. Another challenging leg. Direction out was rubbish. Way to left. Spotted the hill, path , lake then hillside into control. Route was good but I had little push in the legs. Small micro choices near the start lost me 15-30s. Then into control I was 20m right which lost me another 20s just climbing over trees
10. Pissed off with this one. A miss punch. Out of control was clumsy with big crags I could have saved time by looking and making better route out. Then decided to go round. Good route fast and simple. Had little power for the hill. Looking at splits I was on form for fastest leg. Stupid how planners put a cobtrol on the small hill 30m from our control, and our control circle covered the other hill so I couldn’t even see it. Reminder to check the code, but when another runner comes in, green forest, your ona steep slope, it’s near where you expect., although I thought it felt a bit left. Ahhhh
11. Pretty good to start. On the bearing. Although coming in I was a bit right and lost time in the green. Could have used a better attack line from left to just come up valley.
12. Happy with my route choice here. Flatter nice line can just focus on running. But damn it was tough thick Scandinavia forest. Just trying to keep a drive. Really good leg choice right which I hadn’t spotted on lower of hill side. A small oopsy when crossing first valley thinking I was in second valley. Into control I was a little left than what I wanted, focus going blurry, but I knew I was on hill one or two, hit boulder and knew so came right. Could have saved some time here
13. Finish cobtrol. I aimed straight and powered all I could. Therefore I missed the smart choice left with a bit of path. Too much up and down. Route was solid tho.
Control entry needs work, super simple mistakes!!
Awkward flow on long legs
Picking the right long leg option
Crucial to stick to bearing and have faith
Small hesitations near control
Need to limit distractions from others
Micro route choice into control
Good change of focus between short and long legs
Easy losing time near control, difference between smooth in out vs in stop, look, move again, out
CHECK FUCKING CODES
Better attack lines into controls
Focus to the end