Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Tundra/Desert

In the 7 days ending Apr 12, 2002:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Easy running4 8:20:41 45.75(10:57) 73.62(6:48)
  Orienteering2 2:25:06 7.95(18:15) 12.8(11:20)
  Rogaining1 1:46:30 4.4(24:12) 7.08(15:02)
  Running with weights1 49:27 1.62(30:37) 2.6(19:01)
  Medium pace running1 32:02 2.4(13:21) 3.86(8:18)
  Warmup1 10:20
  Total5 14:04:06 62.12(13:35) 99.97(8:27)

» now

Friday Apr 12, 2002 #

Easy running 7:00 [2] 1.0 km (7:00 / km)

Checked on #142.

Warmup 10:20 [1] 0.0 km

Stretched while waiting for James and Joe S who were supposed to man the model area but made a parallel highway error.

Orienteering 57:03 [4] 6.0 km (9:31 / km)

Flying Pig 6, Day 1: Blue. Ran at near max intensity (hr = 176..188), made few errors, but ended up quite slow. Two reasons: getting over the 50-miler (ankles still swollen), and ran in running shoes = was sliding around and had to diagonal on the uphills; O-shoes fell apart at Annadel last Sunday and Gale was not around yet.

Easy running 6:40 [2] 0.9 km (7:24 / km)

Checked on a control site for Saturday with Mike Minium.

Orienteering 23:12 [2] 1.9 km (12:13 / km)

Put out 6 controls/units for Saturday (stands were already out there).

Running with weights 49:27 [1] 2.6 km (19:01 / km)

Control pick-up at Whip Poor Will (5 stands, bags, units). Met Eric who went out and found his compass. Me: "Why don't you pick up some, why do _I_ have to do this?" Eric: "Because you're training for the rogaine, stupid".

Wednesday Apr 10, 2002 #

Easy running 3:49 [2] 0.8 km (4:46 / km)

Tuesday Apr 9, 2002 #

Easy running 10:03 [1] 1.4 km (7:11 / km)

All that still hurts is the no-skin part on my injured foot where the tendon tape was.


Yuack! Stomach flu!

Sunday Apr 7, 2002 #

Orienteering 1:04:51 [1] 4.9 km (13:14 / km)

BAOC event at Annadel. Brown. Walked amost the whole thing. Won by 35 minutes (Penny ran Blue; Gary Kraght, Orange; and George Minarik was event director).

Saturday Apr 6, 2002 #

Easy running 7:53:09 [3] 43.2 mi (10:57 / mi)

American River 50, part 1. 2500' climb for the course. Started at 9-9:30 pace, settled into 8 or just sub-8 running pace after the first hour, which was still more like 9:00 overall pace with 3-4 minute breaks I took at each aid station, plus bushroom stops. Got to the 27.4 mark at 4:09:35, took a 13-min break. The paved bike trail (with shoulder) changed into a single-track at 30 miles, and I slowed to an about 12-min overall pace. The quads started to tighten at about 5:30 but got better by 6:30; the problem was no doubt due to the sub-3 hours of sleep I got after my Amtrak adventure, and because of the stupid bicycle stuff I did the week before. At about 6:50, things suddenly unraveled. The tendon started to hurt, there were a few cramps, and I got problems maintaining balance. But until the 7-hr mark, I was continuously passing people; I was only passed by 2 or 3. I ran/walked the next 4.5 miles to the 43.2 mile aid station and declared that I was quitting. I was way off my target of sub-8 hours, not feeling very well (but not really bad), and feared more problems with the tendon. It was 76 degrees. I was still just behind the top 100 in placing.

Rogaining 1:46:30 [1] 4.4 mi (24:12 / mi)

American River 50, part 2. After having been fed about 20 g of NaCl by the aid station staff for my dizziness, I started to understand what they were saying: there was no way I could drop out at that aid station. There was no vehicle access and I HAD to go on to the finish. So I did, after an about 17-min break lying on a cot; I walked the next 4.4 miles in under 2 hours and was passed by about 150 people in the process, including some 75-year olds and a 60-year old female.

Medium pace running 32:02 [3] 2.4 mi (13:21 / mi)

American River 50. Uphill finish from the last aid station, where I unsuccessfully tried to drop out again. I felt a ton better than 2 hours before. Passed the 60-yr old lady back in the finish chute. Overall: 10:29:12, 266/421.


Lessons from my first finished ultra:
(1) Tight is death. Must be loose. Will run lunches.
(2) There is such a thing as too much drinking. (I did about 13 liters in the first 8 hours, nothing during my final walk. I felt better and better as I was walking.)
(3) There is also such a thing as K/Na imbalance the other way (I ate probably 7-9 bananas in the process and avoided Gatorade. Bad.)

« Earlier | Later »