HVO/WCOC Winter series #3
Mountain Lakes W.C.P. - Green (6.0km)
While getting ready to go to Mountain Lakes I looked outside and it was snowing. Hard. After an hour or so the snowing stopped with about an inch of light fluff on the ground. Cleaned off the driveway and decided today still looked like the best day to get out. At the park there was no sign of new snow. No sign of old snow either. Cloudy and a little chilly, but nice day to run (walk) a course.
1. A little more round-about than necessary. Trying to warm up.
2. Avoiding trails. East over the hill, stayed north of the stream, then tried to keep track of the stone walls. The pipeline and the N-S trail were obvious.
3. No problems.
4. Avoided most of the re-entrant.
5. East side of the big marsh.
6. Over the hill.
7. Pretty much straight line to the road. Followed the stone walls, then up the hill.
8. Up to the little pond where the watch was accidentally stopped. From there, over to the marsh and straight down the hill.
9. No problem.
10. Was worried about finding the control in all of the map detail, but no problem.
11. Not the best route, going over the little hills, but the control was visible on top of the hill.
12. This hasn't happened to often to me, but standing next to #11 I could see #12 on top of the next hill. Concerned (dis-heartened?) about the steep rocky climb to get to it, but it wasn't too bad.
13. No problem.
F. Came down the steep, rocky hillside to the finish. I think I would have been better off staying right and adding a little distance.
Nice course and I was happy to get out on a day with good conditions.