Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Dec 13, 2008:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Bicycling2 3:16:25 15.6(12:35) 25.11(7:49)
  Orienteering1 1:41:55 5.28(19:18) 8.5(11:59) 20026 /27c96%
  Running1 2:00 0.16(12:52) 0.25(8:00)
  Total3 5:00:20 21.04(14:17) 33.86(8:52) 20026 /27c96%
averages - sleep:5.7 rhr:64 weight:174.8lbs

» now

Saturday Dec 13, 2008 #

Bicycling (Course Setting) 1:09:00 [2] 4.25 mi (16:14 / mi)
slept:6.0 (injured)

I placed controls out for an open house party which we had. Riding on my mountain bicycle most of the controls were on roads or around schools. A few were in woods on trails where some navigation was needed. Early on, I moved slow toward one intersection, looked left and looked right. As I started to cross, still clipped-in, a car came over a hill fast. I stopped and but unable to unclip for some reason, I fell over. The embarassment was bad enough but I also twisted my right ankle in a bad way affecting one tendon with a nasty sound. It hurt a bunch but I had controls to set out still and people coming within an hour. I got back on an was able to shake it off over the next 2 miles. Having not seen the actual course in the daylight, I noticed some mapping to fix. It also took a lot of time to loosen the strings for the controls which someone had meticulously wrapped.

Bicycling (Control Pickup) 1:00:25 [2] 4.25 mi (14:13 / mi)

I went out on bicycle after our party to pickup controls that I'd set out earlier in the day. We had fun at the party and hope everyone else did too! It was cold out while I was picking up controls and where wet the ground was freezing. I found a new trail in Ayrlawn Park and will just have to come back some day to map this and other things there properly.

Wednesday Dec 10, 2008 #

Bicycling (Field Checking) 1:07:00 [2] 7.1 mi (9:26 / mi)
slept:4.0 weight:175.5lbs (injured)

I went out on my mountain bike in the drizzle late at night to do some field checking of a map that I'm making of my Bethesda nieghborhood. The new helmet mount for my light worked pretty good but needs some adjustment. The map will be good for bike-O and street-O. Perhaps some parts will be good for educating some of the local kids too. I noticed a few errors from my base work but I also was able to accomplish my primary objective of capturing a few dirt trails on GPS. Surprisingly, one area had a significant network of these along with boulders, rootstock and varied vegetation. Since it was starting to rain harder and rather late I didn't take detailed draft notes but it'll be enough to use until someday when I go there again to do a better job. It was pretty warm when I rode but the wind was starting to blow in some colder weather.

Sunday Dec 7, 2008 #

Running warm up/down (Street & Trail) 2:00 [2] 0.25 km (8:00 / km)
slept:7.0 weight:174lbs (injured)

Great Falls, MD. Warm-up for the very cold QOC meet. It was in the low 30s F but the winds were 15-20mph with gusts up to 40mph. I needed the warm up to keep from getting too cold, more than properly warm-up my legs. Some adventure racers, Eddie Bergeron and David Onkst were ahead of me in line but Eddie and David let me go ahead of them so that it would help get me back in time for Peggy to go out too.

Orienteering race (Foot) 37:33 [4] **** 5.4 km (6:57 / km) +140m 6:09 / km
ahr:158 max:170 spiked:15/16c rhr:64 (injured)

QOC: Great Falls, MD. Greg Lennon deserves a lot of thanks for getting QOC back into Great Falls National Park. With a change in management of the park service, QOC had been effectively kept out of racing on our best terrain for a couple of years.

Once I got going, the cold of the day didn't bother me. There was a very light snow dusting on the ground. The initial 2 legs from the bottom to near the top of the park warmed me up fast. The benefits of my cycling, even though I'm not doing much of that lately, were clearly evident on the climb too. Getting a decent sleep helped too but I was also motivated. On the way to #1 I caught one of two adventure racers who started ahead of me. Passing the other leaving #1, I got to #2 smoothly. With a bad initial bearing, I made a slight error going to #3 but corrected quickly. Eddie Bergeron nearly caught me at #4 but he actually passed me and the control as I spiked it. I was feeling the effects of the lack of training volume as I made my way to #6 but passed a few others including Dave Hauver. Leaving #6, I could see Eddie closing in on me again. He passed me on the way to #8. I was just behind and starting to fall more behind going to #9 however, Eddie went left up a reentrant and around a hill to #10. My straighter path closed the gap again but winded me enough that I was much slower going to #11 across some reentrants. I lost sight of him for a while going to #12 but as I caught my breath and navigated better, I saw a few more glimpses of him. Several times the rest of the way in, I had sensed that my navigation was getting sloppy. I slowed at these times and even paused once. This was a good thing to have done.

I suppose I did pretty well and was glad to be back at Great Falls. I had run 3.61 miles for the 5.4k course which is the fastest non-sprint course that I've done in a while.

Orienteering (Foot) 1:04:22 [1] ** 3.1 km (20:46 / km) +60m 18:56 / km
ahr:87 max:145 spiked:11/11c (injured)

QOC: Great Falls, MD. While Peggy was doing her course, Max and I did a beginner course. Max had looked forward to doing this but I honestly didn't know if he was really going to do it. We started out with him a bit disinterested but when he saw the first control he ran to it. We got to the second, punched and saw Kris Beecroft with a friend and her friend's family. Kris gave Max reason for more motivation by telling him something to the effect of their group going to zoom ahead. Before I knew it, Max was running down the C&O towpath. I figured he'd stop a hundred meters later. We went a bit downhill past some lift locks but to my surprise, Max had ended up running most of over half a mile to the next few controls. He would sometimes look back to make sure that he was still ahead. Of course, I navigated for him. We played the part of reading the map together but I don't really think he understood much of what I was telling him about where on the map we were. Each time we'd stop to read, he'd sit down. It was too cold to really do much instruction. Just before we'd gotten to the point of heading steeply uphill, we could no longer see the group Kris was leading. Max relaxed a bit more with my encouragement and soon enough he'd slowed to a crawl. 7 contours and about 550m later, Kris's group was on our heels again. Max was particularly motivated not to get beaten by girls even though there was one boy and all of them were several years older. They caught us at the next control but each time, Max was ready to run again and moved with them or ahead of them. All of this was all the more surprising given that he was wearing an insulated ski bib and pants. Max started voicing his wonder of how much more to go until the car after. We were half way out (with no real opportunity to bail-out). I felt sorry for not having a chocolate Gu for him which had been some motivation on other outings. Going downhill and headed home, things picked up speed again. The boy from Kris' group was given the map and ran ahead. Max ran after him, falling once on the wooden erosion breaks. We stayed ahead of the "girls" and finished not too far behind the boy from their group. Max took this to mean that he'd won and was proud to tell others this afterward. This was the farthest course that Max had been on and it had one of the larger elevation changes. He was a real trooper and has a lot of potential if we can keep him motivated as well as teach him to read the map.

After the races, Peggy, Max and I had a nice luch with Kris, Eddie and Barb Bryant.

« Earlier | Later »