Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Sep 18, 2016:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Bicycling10 3:16:25 56.46(3:29) 90.86(2:10)
  Orienteering2 1:54:52 7.02(16:22) 11.3(10:10) 38018 /26c69%
  Running2 33:15 3.97(8:23) 6.39(5:12)
  Total13 5:44:32 67.45(5:06) 108.55(3:10) 38018 /26c69%
averages - sleep:6 weight:180lbs

» now

Sunday Sep 18, 2016 #

10 AM

Orienteering race (Foot) 53:20 [4] *** 5.6 km (9:31 / km) +190m 8:09 / km
spiked:11/13c slept:7.0

HVO US Championships Day 2 at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, NY. I knew that a lot of competitors who've been doing better than I had were close enough behind me from Day 1, that they could easily catch me. I kind of forgot about all of that after making an error early on, and just feeling winded on the early legs. I also had a good time trying to keep ahead of Neal Barlow, who caught me early. He said it was at #2 that he caught me, and I thought I was seeing him for the first time as I got ahead of him just before #3. After that, I kept a slight lead the rest of the race. I got 2nd in M55+ again and finished the 2 day total in second--yay!--even though there were some notable M55+ runners not racing.

S-1 - I ran on bearing and was more focused on the index contour than the one below it. I ran over the top of the control until a change in slope, confirming where I was by seeing the trail bend and intersection on my right. I ran back straight away but seemed to have lost a minute.

1-2 - I ran back to the trails and left on a broad spur with the right angle rock wall corner. Charlie Deweese was just ahead of me as I attacked off the broad spur and spiked it.

2-3 - I ran the trails to the right but was not doing so very swiftly. I almost miscounted the bends, probably being out of breath. I didn't even realize that I'd run on the same trail going the other direction on Saturday. I left the trail from a bend and mostly kept a good bearing. I saw Neal Barlow on my right and was making a little better time than he was when crossing the dry marsh. Seeing the rock walls on my right helped. The leg line hid part of the contour on the spur before the control so when I climbed that, I expected to see the control. I realized what happened and kept going straight to the control. I'd seen this control the previous day but again, I hadn't realized it was the same one. Neal was pretty close behind me when I punched.

3-4 - I went left around the initial knoll and queued off of the trail bend to correct and attack. I went right to the correct cliff and was happy about that. Neal was still very close behind me.

4-5 - I climbed early to get above the initial cliff, then climbed again. I intended to follow the green in, but it may have extended a little further to the east than mapped. I cut west when I didn't see what I'd expected and got to the control ahead of Neal, who'd taken a better, more direct bearing.

5-6 - I just ran straight at it, queuing off of the spur and probably the stone wall. I spiked it.

6-7 - I hadn't thought this one out well but wanted to avoid climb. I thought I knew just where I was when I crossed the first dry marsh, but I can't recall whether I saw the nearby stone walls. The climb across was looking steep and seeing an easier slope to the left, I went for it to try to avoid climb. I got further left than I knew. When I hit the stream, I crossed it and saw another. An east-west stone wall ahead clued me in that I'd gone too far, so I ran north. Along the way, I saw Neal taking a straighter route, however I got there a little ahead of him. I think I lost 20-30 seconds.

7-8 - I thought there might be a good way to use the trails but initially I got running going straight. By the time I saw a big east-west oriented cliff funneling me into a reentrant and located it on the map, I realized I'd crossed over a trail that I was considering to take to go around a hill. I then committed to my route to go straight and over the hills. I stopped hearing Neal Barlow for a while and figured he was on a different route or that I'd opened a better gap. Getting down the first hilltop felt a little slow as I hunted a safe way down from the cliffs. Fortunately I found it quickly and hop-jumped my way down the big boulders. Going up the next hill and crossing a distinct small reentrant, I was confident of my exact position SW of a marsh. I followed the green from there to the trail, then went straight. The blueberry wasn't too bad and I cut right a little to make sure I'd hit the next trail well. The shallow reentrant was easy to read so I ran over to the left side. The control was just a little past where I thought it'd be.

8-9 - Finally getting some more downhill running, I ran under the cliff and forced my way left to spike it. I was thinking that I might have lost Neal.

9-10 - Going straight initially, I cut left after looking at the scrubby green ahead. I had to climb a little to stay out of it and ended up going a bit too far left. I cut down at a gap in the green, and saw cliffs on my left. As I dropped to the right, I again cut left in a risky way, without a terrain feature to guide me. It just felt right and I knew I'd have to get through the green to get to the control. About the same time or soon after, I saw Neal coming across from my right, again having taken a more direct route. I next spyed the reentrant and ran in ahead of him. He started to close on me but I picked-up the pace after reading the map and seeing that the control should be a little further down. At the end, I saw Peggy leaving it and I was happy to have stayed ahead of Neal.

10-11 - I started letting Neal's presence affect me more, by leaving the control pretty quickly. I had earlier glanced and presumed that I'd take the trails on the right going toward #11 so I just did that without further evaluation. The trail was rocky enough that I was slow to catch Peggy on it. I was trying to read the bends a little but she was probably working hard too. When I did pass, I went by fast only to soon after have to slow again to make sure I was not going to overrun the trail intersection. I gave it an honest effort to get up the 2 1/2 contours that I could have mostly avoided going on the trails to the left. After crossing the stone walls on the downhill (unfortunate that we had to loose all of those contours on one leg), and staying above most of the barberry, I saw the unmapped deadfall. I wasn't sure which reentrant the control was in but crossed the first just above the fallen tree. Cutting right, I fell into the correct reentrant and was relieved. At the time, it seemed more like a spur, but I checked the code. I could hear Neal nearby.

11-12 - I gave this one a quick look and went. Fortunatley, I saw the control in the next reentrant over to the right and went to it. I had done this all too fast and riskily. I was mostly going on bearing and didn't stay in the reentrant that I started in. The beginnings of an elephant trail over thin forested grass helped give it away.

12-13 - I think I just knew I had to slow down before I really blew it so looking at the next leg took me time. My initial thought was to drop to the road. Fortunately, I looked at it for a long enough time (10 seconds?). I even shouted out getting frustrated at why my eyes weren't reading the leg that well--just tired and pressured by Neal I guess. I dropped to the trail and stayed on that. I felt slow and fatigued.

13-F - I didn't think I was going slow enough to make an AP calculated error on this. I did move casually around the tree line but got up to speed soon. It seemed a long way and I wasn't sure that I could keep a top speed the whole way. I paced a little until I was sure I could sprint the rest.

This was certainly a good result for me, and satisfying to have held off Neal for so long. He had taken some different routes and caught up after I'd gotten further ahead a few times. Of course after my slower start, he beat me overall this day, and easily was ahead for the 2 day total. I was happy to have semblance of being able to run faster again. For the second day, the park and course was pretty enjoyable for me.

Running warm up/down (Street & Trail) 3:30 [2] 0.37 mi (9:28 / mi)

Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, NY. From the finish arena to the designated parking lot.

Saturday Sep 17, 2016 #

11 AM

Orienteering race (Foot) 1:01:32 [4] **** 5.7 km (10:48 / km) +190m 9:15 / km
spiked:7/13c slept:8.0

HVO US Championships Day 1 at Ward Pound Ridge Reservation, NY. This was a pretty good run for me in terrain that while not the most technical, is more technical than I usually get to race or train in locally. I hoped to run a fairly clean race since I feel that I'm lacking running speed and climbing ability. That largely happened relatively speaking; I usually lose much more time for errors. A couple of things came together for me on this. Getting further recovered from back problems in 2015 was a big one. I've been running better in cooler weather too, and had been putting in more training volume more over a hot DC summer. I lost enough weight for it to make a difference too--that took some focus. I loved the park. It was so open as to be conducive to going straight a lot--that's something I fall into when I don't quickly see a better route like better navigators do, and my accuracy improves in open terrain relative to others. One last thing that helped me a lot was the high quality of the map. I tend to make more errors than others when the map isn't up to date. I got 2nd in M55+ which is a big improvement from earlier.

S-1 - I was getting into reading the map heading out, and not doing it that well. Call it early jitters and not slowing down enough to run and read--I read the contours but mistook the first wall. I pulled-uphill early and too high, then corrected well.

1-2 - I read the contours and went straight there.

2-3 - This seemed easy enough and I knew the first control to the left wasn't mine. However, with it so open and not seeing the control ahead, I paused and got close enough to the other control on the left before going on straight to it.

3-4 - I went around to the left, and was happy to be reading the little things pretty well. Literally just before the control, I popped-up and stood on the cliff above it w/o seeing it. E. Matveeva gave it away but I was headed there anyway.

4-5 - I almost did what a few others did by starting to head downhill. A quick check of the compass set me straight. However, I wasn't very focused. I ran without a good plan and stuck to the trail even though I was having trouble reading while on the run. I figured I was making good time in the terrain and headed the right direction with the marsh to funnel me in. I ran parts of the marsh that were dry and attacked just before the 2 boulders 3-4 contours below the control. I walked up, even going through the green, but I was confident and right on.

5-6 - A cadet or other younger runner was leaving #6 just behind me. I ran straight as I could and didn't look back. I slowed after 3 contours and contoured along a stone wall to a reentrant between the hills. Going straight through the green from there, I spiked it.

6-7 - Once again I ran straight as I could, without getting stopped by vegetation in the marsh. Taking the trail for a short distance, I stayed with it until it climbed. Ahead I wasn't seeing what I expected. I hadn't realized that the hill on the straight line had 3 formlines. I was planning to go around that to the left, and did but I was very unconfident and hesitant until I got to the depression north of the control.

7-8 - I realize from past experiences that when I string together a decent start that I often make a mistake around this point in a race. I decided to go left a little but not all the way to the marsh, but just left of the initial spurs. I didn't read all of the detail but approaching the control, I could read the contours across the dry marsh and went up. I spiked it and was happy!

8-9 - I underestimated this one though I was still trying to be careful. I crossed the marsh and got on the trail eventually. I thought I was reading the trail bends well but at one bend, it seemed to disappear. Rather than stop, I went on, albeit to the right a bit. The hill ahead looked right, and I figured I was SE of the control. I saw ahead (NW) another runner figuring that person to be on my course. Though it didn't turn out to be whom I thought it was, the control became visible as I got close and the person moved off.

9-10 - Most of the time while running this, I figured that someone like Ernst would have found a really nice route that I was missing. I ran pretty straight, a little confused by some of the ups and downs in the first 1/3 of the way, but I clearly recognized the steep hillside near the big trail/road and marsh. I ran confidently to it, and crossed the road between the water stop and the dry pond. I was cautious for a little bit until confirming the double stone wall. Running over near the spurs, I felt good, but crossing the last stone wall with a cliff, I felt inclined to go more to the left to a boulder that I could see. A check of my compass, got me to look in the right direction and I saw another (Brown course?) runner going there too. I ran fast the last bit as the boulder became more visible through the greener bits, and got there ahead of him.

10-11 - I ran up the trail initially, leaving again at a bend and almost at the same time as I caught Michael Lyons (injured). I followed a stone wall on my right and read the knoll contours to keep track of where I was. At just about the last moment, I decided to run above the control for better/faster footing. I figured the control would be visible below me as I got to the end of the spur. However, I didn't see the control as I ran faster. The end of the spur turned out to be further on the edge of the unbroken circle, and mapped as rocky ground. I think I lost 30 seconds or so coming back.

11-12 - I stayed high for the best running footing, looking for the wall intersection. I saw it much below where I was so I dropped down and crossed the wall well above the intersection. I stayed out of the mapped slash (barberry) until a break in the wall and the slash. I hadn't read the control feature and ran to what I thought was the center of the circle on the stone wall. Once there and not finding it, I turned back, losing only 5-10 seconds.

12 - 13 - I figure that I was kind of oxygen deprived. I certainly wasn't thinking or reading that well. I ran straight across the stream and only then distinguished the mapped trail from the mapped wall well enough to go on. I contoured across the white woods while climbing, to avoid the barberry--reading the course notes helped there since from the edge, it almost looked passable. Others who when into it said they lost time. I hit the wall and found the streamers for the white course along with a kid with his father. I ran up, not running with much purpose until I could see the road and a way around the green. The mowed trail at the end was nice; I saw what Francis Hogel and some others looked like with hitchickers on their pants because they missed the unmapped trail.

13-F - Half thinking a few seconds might not matter too much, I didn't push a lot initially. Once I did, I had to slow down way before the finish just to be safe on the steep downhill.

It was a lot of fun running this park. Despite my sometimes poor decisions and ill-advised risk taking (mostly not slowing down enough to stay in better contact), I was happy not making a big mistake for a change. I enjoyed the course setting too.

Friday Sep 16, 2016 #

8 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:00 [3] 1.41 mi (4:15 / mi)

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station.
12 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:00 [3] 1.41 mi (4:15 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro Station, to Northfield Rd.

Thursday Sep 15, 2016 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:00 [3] 1.41 mi (4:15 / mi)
slept:6.0 weight:180.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station. Some of the areas with road construction have been completed so the ride was a lot smoother.
6 PM

Running (Street & Trail Commute) 29:45 [4] 3.6 mi (8:16 / mi)

Washington, D.C. From 12th & Independence Ave., SW, down Independence Ave., to 17th St., along the Reflecting Pool to the Lincoln Memorial circle, to Ohio Dr. to the Rock Creek Trail, to P St., NW., to 20th St., NW., to the Dupont Circle Metro Station at Q St., NW. The weather was much more comfortable today; probably in the mid or upper 70s F and there was not much humidity. I felt that I was running faster but I didn't feel strong. I just was able to keep up a focus and drive most of the way. The last few blocks on city sidewalks that were uphill felt slow, like I had run out of steam. My quads were tired. This was about 2:30 minutes faster than 2 weeks ago in slightly warmer weather.
7 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 5:50 [3] 1.41 mi (4:08 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro Station, to Northfield Rd. at dusk. There were a few stops and go's. I was sweaty and the breeze felt good, almost cold.

Wednesday Sep 14, 2016 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 37:50 intensity: (20:00 @3) + (17:50 @4) 12.1 mi (3:08 / mi)
slept:4.75 weight:181lbs

From Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD, to 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. It was still comfortable this morning when I rode. At Bradley Blvd., another commuter cyclist merged onto Fall Rd. not far behind me. He looked a little overweight and about my age but also looked fit. I think the rough road from construction slowed him up more than it did for me. I got on the Capital Crescent Trail and moved along pretty well. I felt more at ease cycling today than yesterday. At about the Dalecarlia Reservoir, the cyclist I'd seen a few miles back at Bradley Blvd. passed me. He seemed to be on a fixed gear bike but with an unusually heavy looking hub. I didn't think it was electric. I tucked in behind him moving pretty fast until the trestle bridge at the bottom of this hill; he stopped there. I continued on at a good but more manageable pace into Georgetown. In some traffic, just as I was about to split off on the Rock Creek Trail, the same commuter passed me and headed onto K St. I rode pretty well the rest of the way. The willows along the river gave only a hint of a possible tailwind. I thought I was riding a little faster than the time I ended with.
5 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 42:10 [3] 11.9 mi (3:33 / mi)

From 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C., to Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD. I started at 5:57pm. My legs were sore from the morning and the rides the previous day. After rounding the Jefferson Memorial, with headwinds getting to Georgetown, I was slow. After reaching the other side and another mile later, a rider passed me so I drafted. He was shorter and seemed to me to be older. However, he was moving really well, even as we turned uphill. He blocked enough air for me to keep up at a comfortable pace, with me having to push only now and then as we passed others or hit a bridge overpass. He turned away at Dorset Ave. so after that I moved slower again, even though I was putting in a little more effort. We had been moving up the hill rather well together so I must have been moving rather a lot more slowly early on.

Tuesday Sep 13, 2016 #

8 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 39:15 [3] 12.1 mi (3:15 / mi)
slept:5.0 weight:181.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD, to 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. There was some traffic (construction, buses) and headwinds. I felt I was moving well but my legs didn't feel like I'd been cycling much. I rode alone passing a steady stream of other cyclists.
6 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 41:30 [3] 11.9 mi (3:29 / mi)

From 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C., to Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD. There was a pretty good tailwind most of the way home. Another nice part was passing the electric biker. He kept slowing a lot each time he passed other riders. I passed him when he was seemingly slow to accelerate. I got passed caught the guy and passed him back as he slowed, then near Fletcher's Boathouse he went on quickly. I moved confidently throughout.

Monday Sep 12, 2016 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:00 [3] 1.41 mi (4:15 / mi)
slept:5.0 weight:178.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station. After the long time out yesterday I had eaten twice and drank well but my weight was still down a lot.
7 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 5:50 [3] 1.41 mi (4:08 / mi)

From the Bethesda Metro Station, to Northfield Rd. in the dark. This was just before 8pm. I had a busy day at work and was hungry when I got home. That killed plans for a short run but I was pretty tempted to do one late in the evening with the nice weather.

« Earlier | Later »