Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Nadim

In the 7 days ending Sep 21:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering3 9:44:57 18.22(32:06) 29.32(19:57) 887
  Running5 3:47:26 23.41(9:43) 37.68(6:02) 219
  Bicycling8 2:00:22 32.66(3:41) 52.56(2:17) 228
  Total12 15:32:45 74.29(12:33) 119.56(7:48) 1335
averages - sleep:6.1 weight:190.3lbs

» now

Saturday Sep 21 #

Event: QOC Occoquan
10 AM

Running (Trail) 50:14 [3] 5.25 mi (9:34 / mi) +40m 9:21 / mi

Glencoe, MD. From Glencoe Rd., Peggy and I ran the North Central Rail to the old train station at Monkton, and then we ran back. Earlier we'd seen Max run a Cross Country race at nearby Hereford H.S.; purportedly where the MD State XC Championships are sometimes held. The trail was somewhat hard; parts of it seemed to be concrete. It was about as busy as the Capital Crescent Trail is during a weekday. The trail was graded nicely and scenic most of the time as it parallels and criss-crosses the Big Gunpowder Falls creek.

I didn't feel that well on this run but I was glad to have been able to do it at all. After what seemed to be hamstring pain yesterday, I had less when I woke up this morning. Walking around to see Max's race did more to loosen it up or something. It didn't bother me after a short way into the run. The grade wasn't much, but I did feel it in my quads.
4 PM

Orienteering (Field Checking) 2:21:42 intensity: (2:11:12 @1) + (10:30 @2) 4.18 mi (33:54 / mi) +131m 30:53 / mi

Great Falls Park, MD. It had gotten hot outside and I was tired. It was well past 4pm when I got out into the park and it was still 90 F. The temperatures cooled as time passed. I updated vegetation mostly but there were some rootstocks and even some ditches that I took tracks of.

Friday Sep 20 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 5:57 [3] 1.41 mi (4:13 / mi) +12m 4:07 / mi
slept:6.25 weight:189.5lbs

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station. It was nice an cool this morning!
6 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:20 [3] 1.41 mi (4:30 / mi) +11m 4:23 / mi
(rest day)

From the Bethesda Metro Station to Northfield Rd. I carried two backpacks or work clothes back. I'd intended to have a short run before this ride but when leaving work I noticed my left hamstring hurting. It was hard to localize where but it's perhaps where the upper tendons are. I thought it best to just rest.

Thursday Sep 19 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:11 [3] 1.41 mi (4:23 / mi) +11m 4:17 / mi

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station.
5 PM

Running (Street & Trail Commute) 1:08:15 [3] 7.04 mi (9:42 / mi) +93m 9:19 / mi
slept:5.75 weight:190.5lbs

From 12th & Independence Ave., past the WWII Memorial and the Reflecting Pool to the Lincoln Memorial, to Ohio Dr. to the Rock Creek Trail, through the tunnel rather than the zoo since the path was closed, to the Melvin Hazen Trail, to Connecticut Ave., NW, to the UDC Metro Station. I didn't feel entirely bad starting out, but was still lethargic. There were plenty of other runners out. I was gauging my progress catching them or holding them off, but without really racing. I was too weak for that. On the climb up the steep Melvin Hazen Trail, the way was more rooted than I'd remembered it being and it had been a long time since I ran that section. I had to walk some parts but did actually run up some of the hillier parts. When I tried to push in near the end, my calves started to cramp.

Bicycling (Commute) 6:02 [3] 1.41 mi (4:17 / mi) +18m 4:07 / mi

From the Bethesda Metro Station to Northfield Rd.

Wednesday Sep 18 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 6:28 [3] 1.41 mi (4:35 / mi) +12m 4:28 / mi
slept:6.1 weight:191lbs

From Northfield Rd., to the Bethesda Metro Station.
6 PM

Running (Street & Trail Commute) 39:54 [3] 4.25 mi (9:23 / mi) +54m 9:02 / mi

From the Bethesda Metro Station, Woodmont Ave. to Wisconsin Ave. to Somerset Terrace, to The Hills Plaza, to Willard Ave. to the Willard Park Trail to River Rd., to the Capital Crescent Trail, to the Bethesda Metro Station. It was nice and cooler. I started slow and didn't feel as bad as I thought I would. I finished a little faster but am still overtrained.

Bicycling (Commute) 6:01 [3] 1.41 mi (4:16 / mi) +13m 4:09 / mi

From the Bethesda Metro Station to Northfield Rd. I seemed like I was going faster, but I did have just a little bit of traffic.

Tuesday Sep 17 #

9 AM

Running (Trail) 54:32 [3] 5.75 mi (9:29 / mi) +18m 9:24 / mi
slept:5.5 weight:191lbs

From Carderock, to the C&O Towpath, to Berma Rd. Trail near the Old Angler's Inn, to the C&O Towpath on the north end of the Berma Rd. Trail, then back on the C&O Towpath to Carderock. At Peggy's suggestion, I took the day off work. I still had to wake up early enough to get Samantha on her bus, but that let me get out while it was cool. It was around 70 F, humid and partly cloudy, but with a breeze once in a while. It should have been good conditions for running but I was just worn out. My quads were sore. I didn't push throughout the run. Even the slight grade of the Berma Rd. and towpath could be felt. Getting on the Berma Rd., the usual stairs were cordoned off so I took a detour toward the lower parking lot. Returning on the towpath felt a little easier due to the grade. A guy who turned around almost in front of me moved off faster than me and I didn't give chase. He would stop sometimes and I didn't catch him until closing in on the end. I probably need to recover a little more.

Orienteering (Field Checking) 5:28:52 [1] 7.77 mi (42:19 / mi) +208m 39:05 / mi

I had brunch after my run by I went back to Great Falls Park, MD again. I spent a good while updating vegetation and point features. Initially it was all point features. This took much longer than anticipated but I made good progress in the areas that needed it. I couldn't do everything I wanted to. At one point I started going further but realized I'd be farther away from where I parked and I was already tired/dehydrated.

Monday Sep 16 #

7 AM

Bicycling (Commute) 38:37 [4] 12.2 mi (3:10 / mi) +39m 3:08 / mi
slept:5.5 weight:189lbs

From Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD. to 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. The weather felt nice starting out and I escaped the traffic around Bethesda without much slowing down. The winds were calm. There was a steady stream of cyclists to swim through the whole way to Georgetown. I faded after Georgetown. After joining up with the trail coming off 14th St. there good numbers of cyclists again. I finally weighed in under 189 lbs. but was probably still dehydrated. Skipping meals once in a while helps.
6 PM

Bicycling (Commute) 44:46 [3] 12.0 mi (3:44 / mi) +114m 3:37 / mi

From 13th & C St. SW, Washington, D.C. to Northfield Rd., Bethesda, MD. When I got to my bike after work, I found a flat front tire. I couldn't patch it--seemed like a slow leak but I couldn't detect where. It was nice having the community pump in the bike rack area. Once I got going I felt headwinds getting to Georgetown. Even with some traffic and having to stop to pickup tools from my open seat pack, I got out of Georgetown in a pretty good time. From there I decided to take it easier. I cruised along and there were plenty of riders on the trail to pass.

Sunday Sep 15 #

12 PM

Running warm up/down (Trail) 6:34 [2] 0.51 mi (12:52 / mi) +7m 12:19 / mi
slept:7.5 weight:190.5lbs

Fountainhead Regional Park, MD. From the entrance road, I jogged to the advanced course start of QOC's event. Overnight, I must have slept a bit funny. A muscle or tendon running from around my left shoulder downward was hurting a little and sometimes sharply. My neck had been stiff lately for a few days and was also not feeling right. It was starting to get warm. Despite more sleep, I still didn't feel very energetic.

Orienteering (Foot) 1:54:23 [4] 6.27 mi (18:15 / mi) +548m 14:21 / mi

QOC: Fountainhead Regional Park, MD. We ran on the East side of the park today and it had been a while since we'd been there. It was getting warm at the time I started and was to get to 86 F. I ran a measured pace on the initial controls and a fair amount of walking by the end.

S-1 - I stuck with the trail until the bend and then climbed the left side of the reentrant to spike it. I recognized the control to be hung rather low behind a dot knoll.

1-2 - I ran out the ride to the intersection and then the top of the reentrant system with the control. Though I ran right to the right reentrant, a small one, I couldn't see the control. I looked around and started to doubt myself enough to take a few steps past, then I turned back and glimpsed it a behind a fallen tree trunk. I'd lost +30 seconds looking around in the reentrant.

2-3 - I ran straight but hesitated at the bottom of the reentrant junction. I went on the the next reentrant down, then up that to the side reentrant.

3-4 - I walked then ran along side the main reentrant, up to the trail intersection. I used the trail toward the control but only to the bottom of the first reentrant. From there I angled up and around to spike it.

4-5 - I went more or less straight, even through a bit of the green, and I spiked it. It was hard to see again.

5-6 - I crossed the reentrant and climbed up to the point that it felt better to stay low. I saw the first dot knoll along the reservoir edge but had only seen one on the map. I checked it out and turned back confused. At the reentrant, I turned back again to the second knoll. The reentrant it was in appeared to be bigger than mapped. I must have lost 90 seconds.

6-7 - I climbed fairly straight up. Since there was unmapped deadfall at the top, I went around the top of most of it before dropping down to the reentrant junction.

7-8 - I went right a little to climb a long spur. I was a little too much to the right so at the top and when crossing the trail, I mistook the reentrant on my right to be the one that was really on my left. I took the spur between them to the bottom, then ran along the side of the creek a little before crossing and climbing. Emerging near the knolls on either side of the trail and NE of #14, I saw Peggy on the trail. I crossed the trail proceeding to #14 very well. The control box was far from the bag and water. I got frustrated looking for it and losing time so I yelled out: "Where's the punch!" I found it on the dot knoll only then to realize that I was really supposed to go to #8 anyway! I kept moving on from there doing well to hit the intersection N of #8 and chase Peggy toward the control. Peggy got in the right area but she must not have seen the bag and got under it. I told her it was up where I was but the control box was again away from the control and in between Peggy and I. I think she punched first. I probably lost 2 minutes from my mistaken navigation to #14 (I had planned a route similar to Peggy's from the point where I'd seen her).

8-9 - I ran an almost straight route initially. Peggy had moved off to my right to apparently avoid the mapped green. I found the mapped gap in it and got to the trail bend. I came in from high so I missed seeing the first of 3 reentrants below. Bill Wright was ahead and I was gaining on him. I looked down the second reentrant that I saw and didn't see the control so I started to move on. However I was close enough to soon see Bill going down the reentrant and punching. I corrected and probably only lost 10 seconds.

9-10 - I learned later that Bill was running Red. We've gotten into races where we were both having a hard time separating before, since over the last year or more he's been running a bit faster. He moved up the hill at a run while I walked. Going down, I gained on him. My route was to the right to avoid climbing a spur on the left side of a reentrant, 3/4 of the way on the leg, however that route took me around some green and lower than the control. As I climbed the spur the control was on, Bill came in from above. I could tell I was too low but I was also just enough unsure due to the hidden controls earlier.

10-11 - I wasn't careful; sloppy actually. I didn't use the saddle or the reentrant on the other side. I was just following a bearing and trying to catch Bill. I missed to the right a little, and got under the control again. Bill came in more accurately and as I corrected, he said next time he was going to wear camouflage. I only lost 15 seconds.

11-12 - I decided to that the high route to the left, to avoid crossing the reentrants. I navigated to the lower boulder okay but I wasn't making sense of the area--I expected to see the other boulders but didn't. I recall adding some of the boulders to the map when I'd sent the US Ultralong Champs courses here in 2014, so my head wasn't in the right frame of mind. I paused long enough to lose 30 seconds. That didn't count my route being longer and probably not beneficial. I figured Bill was long gone.

12-13 - I ran a fairly straight route and spiked it. My track shows a kink at the control but I don't think that was accurate.

13-14 - I took the trail, and cut right at the ride which pointed to the control. Along the way I saw David Onkst as he was going toward #8 or #9. Having been to #14 earlier, I confidently ran down the spur from the trail/ride intersection. I saw the control from 75m out and knew where the punch would be.

14-15 - Down the reentrant to the inlet valley; once across I cut right but climbed immediately to try to avoid ups and downs on the two reentrants ahead. Yuri was in the area ahead, and I heard Bill Wright from behind asking me how I got ahead of him! I had to drop a bit to get past the green efficiently but I passed Yuri just before the control when he paused a little low. I think I may have added the rootstock that the control was near, to the map. Later I heard from Peggy that there was a scream of pain when she was approaching the area. She wondered if she needed to give assistance. I never heard it. We pieced together later that it was probably Bill Wright who turned his ankle badly. Peggy never saw him either but she did hear him say he was somewhat okay.

15-16 - I went fairly straight and spiked it. Crossing the trail did help me to know where I was.

16-17 - I was getting tired and not thinking well. I miscounted reentrants (the control circle at #16 might have contributed since it covered a contour. I dropped down, not even half way through the leg. Once I figured this out, I was still confused and hesitant. I heard what I thought was Bill Wright again, catching up. I kept on going and got to the control ahead of whomever it was but I hesitated at least once more. I probably lost 1:45 on this leg.

17-18 - Tired, I decided to use the reentrants on the right side of the line, and climb gradually where I could. Once across the trail on the ridge I followed another reentrant down but I started to mistake a joining reentrant for the bottom because of the line hiding the contours. I started to climb but realized it quickly. Someone sounded to be catching up on the left side of the reentrant. I didn't hesitate any more. I went across the true stream valley and up to the control.

18-19 - I contoured as much as I could but eventually dropped to the valley.
I'm not sure if that was the best way to go or not. I was able to keep track of the right reentrant at the end but I didn't count going up the valley. I spiked it.

19-20 - I went a little right of the line. Ted Good was walking up the hill and nearing the end of the Red course. He kept a steady pace walking and I only slowly caught and passed him. I had stopped to read a little though. I crossed the trails and emerged close to #1; a little too close to the road. Running down the reentrant to the trail bend I'd left going to #1, I climbed gradually from there, counting reentrants. Ted was running by that point and sticking to the trail. He was passing me, but his Red course didn't have the control I was going to.

20-21 - I went straight. After crossing the creek and starting my climb, I could see Ted going from left to right ahead of me. I was weak and struggling with the climb but I spiked it. Ted was long gone.

21-22 - I just got into the valley and made sure to see the fork in the creek. Folling it, I spiked the control, but there was a second unmapped ditch before the control.

22-23 - I pretty much went straight, trying to avoid the green by going left at some times. I finished on the trail with a slow jog.

It was a tough day physically, and that seemed to help me make errors. I felt rusty. The woods were very nice and almost entirely bereft of spider webs or Japanese Stilt Grasses.

Running warm up/down (Street & Trail) 7:57 [2] 0.61 mi (13:02 / mi) +7m 12:34 / mi

From the entrance to Fountainhead Regional Park, MD, I jogged slowly to the main parking area. It was fortunate that this was downhill. The pavement and shoe spikes hurt my feet. I figured I needed to jog, not to warm down, which this was, but to get a little extra in as Hudson Highlander training. After finishing and while talking with Vido, my neck felt weak and I felt the urge to look downward.

« Earlier | Later »