Bike 3:28:50  82.18 km (2:32 / km) +1427m 2:20 / km
PMS to Wolf Creek Pass
2017 = 2:04:--
2018 = 2:09:38
2019 = 2:11:09
PS to Treasure Falls Parking
2017 = ?
2018 = 1:04:59
2019 = 1:01:24
Wolf Creek Pass (from Pagosa Springs)
2017 = 1:05:--
2018 = 1:02:47
2019 = 1:01:39
I don't know how I set strava PRs for the first half (PS to TF) and the second half (TS to WCP) but not on the whole. The end points of the segments must not line up. My opinion is that I was faster all around by a little bit. I was kind of hoping to break 60min for the climb proper (Wolf Creek Pass) but I don't think I could have gone any faster without blowing up. I would need to do a lot more climbing in training.
* Left Wason Ranch at 0610. Stashed bottles at the pass. Stopped at the convenience store and bought a gatorade as payment to use their bathroom. Also applied chamois buttr. Riding by 0730ish.
* Temp in the high forties at the start. I wore my vest for a little while but then stashed it. Put it on again when I was resting up top and then down the backside when I was really sweating. I could have gotten away without it but I think it is good to have.
* HR monitor wasn't working so I had to just ride by feel. There wasn't much sightseeing as I was focus on the effort in one way or another.
* Going up the pass there were a bunch of signs saying "No stopping or standing." I couldn't decide if the signs were being supportive or cruel. In any case, I didn't take any breaks, just 60ish minutes of straight effort.
* Last year I went down the backside all the way to 410; that turned out to be a mistake as I was completely bonked coming back up. This year I went down about 4km just for fun and turned around. I'm glad I did. That was still plenty hard but at least I didn't stop. Garmin says I hit 79kph for a brief moment on this downhill.
* On the downhill heading back to PS I was maxing out just over 70kph. There was a bit of a headwind and I couldn't push through it. Then my right leg started cramping. Cramping while going downhill is no beuno. I still passed one truck though - Ha! So, going down I'd push a little, cramp a little, push a little, cramp a little. Annoying. Then a bit past Treasure Falls the other leg decided to get in on the fun so I just stopped and rested. After about 5 min everything eased up and I was able to motor home but I had to be careful on the remaining little up hills.
* At lunch at Kip's.