Long distance brown Y at Camp Wakpominee. Nice day today. Lots of climb, and slow in the deadfall.
1, Very slow and tentative, saw the rock from a distance, but just slow on the approach.
2. Down to the trail, across E of the marsh and contoured around the hill. Not feeling great contact, but spiked it.
3. Up and over the hill and down the trail, facing all the folks coming up. Left at a bend that I thought was the sharp bend, but the track indicates I was not that far yet. Angled up the slope, picking up a skid trail for a bit on the way. I thought I was left of the big cliff, but apparently I was right of it. So I didn't find the pond on top and went up instead of down to try to figure it out. A big circle and lost about 5 minutes before heading back down, seeing Bob Lux and the pond, then getting it.
4. Easy down the hill, cliff pretty obvious, behind Bob anyway.
5. Bob showed me a clean pair of hills. I was not able to get through the deadfall that quickly. Crossed the stream and went more or less straight instead of trail around. This was really nasty and the worst climbing, sidehill, deadfall and rocks of the trip. Finally punched through to the base of the rocky cliffs and tentatively made my way down to the bag.
6. Not sure how, but I got way off to the right, finally crossing the stream R of the big earthbank, finding a way up between the big cliffs and by the little pond well R of the line, easy on compass from there. Ran into Geoman just short of the control and chatted him up briefly.
7, A bit of contouring, a bit trying to follow the line, but apparently drifted too far downhill and crossed the reentrant north of the hill near Sly Pond. Took a bit to figure it out, and then cussing as I climbed back up and over and straight to it.
8. Climbed back to the trail, instead of the better route along the marsh to the trail, then left it at a good angle and headed down. Lost a bit of time trying to figure out where I was on the stream instead of just looking at the rootstock across the stream. When I finally did that, of course, it was easy.
9, Trail to the small clearing just L of line, then angling across the stonewall and in. Easy enough.
10. Tried to go straight, but drifted and came in from the road.
12. Past the sprint start, thinking about taking the trail W, but turned my mind off and went straight across on the other trail, ending up back at 9. Which wouldn't have been so bad if I had realized it was 9, but I spent about 3 minutes in panic running around in circles, until Geoman punched it and it dawned on me that I had been there before. OK, then I was able to go through the woods and find it.
13. OK, but the fight had gone out of me.
Not a very satisfying race. Too many mistakes, certainly avoidable.
Here is the map