Earl's trails Red course
, set by Phil Bricker. Very nice course. I don't seem to have much sense of what is going on on that central hill. Also got way thrown off on it at the BG last year and ended up heading S off the map. This time I persisted, finally found something to relocate on. Still not sure which trails I was on when I was on them. Not too far off most of the way, but then lost it pretty badly on the far side of the hill.
1. Was ok, went by 17 to make it a little easier.
2. Thought I was fine, but I was one spur too soon, went back up for a while before figuring it out.
3. Mostly trails. Once I got to the stream I was pretty confident.
4. Idea was to climb around S side of the central hill, use trails where I could, but it took forever, and then once I finally got over on the back side I was further north than I thought, and lost another 13-14 minutes trying to find something to relocate on. Finally recognized the big trail segment where I turned around, 300 M NE of the control.
5. Again used trails a lot. Saw Sam L at the control.
6. Sam was a little right of me, and I didn't much want to follow him, so stayed left, but we converged near the control
7. Sam behind me, trying to hustle along, but I don't move very fast these days, even when I feel like I am hustling. Around the corner of the last hill and in.
8. More or less straight, seeing the shape of the land well, Becks off to the right and zoomed right into it, someone else was in front of her.
9. Everybody else was on green, so alone headed to 9 and promptly screwed it up, finally bailing out to the trail, well short of it, but maybe only 2 minutes or so actually lost in the process.
10. Stayed on trail all the way, but I knew where I was all the time.
11. A little longer, but wanted to stay on the spur. Not moving very fast.
12. A long time out to the trail, then across through the mapped yellow now a clump of beech saplings. Rock pretty visible once I got close.
13. A lot of climbing, a lot of thick hemlocky stuff, more or less executed my plan. Just really slow.
14. Once again totally flummoxed by the trails. I was two trails higher than I thought. OK once I figured it out, but went around a lot more than I had planned.
16. Again, some climbing, thought I had it figured out, but stopped a little soon, looked across the brook and saw the trail segment, so then I figured it out.
17. Just slogging up the hill, saw #1 off to my right. Steve R coming up behind just as I hit the trail.
And then hustled right out because Rhonda was waiting for me, and off to have lunch with my cousin Ann in Amherst, at the Monkey Bar.