Brown course at Lake Frederick. Generally a pretty good excursion. Biggest error involved some thrashing around looking for #1. Maybe 3 minutes worth. Then maybe another minute on #5 when I went to the right knoll, but didnt see the flag tucked in below it until I had gone by and checked the next knoll over. Nothing there, so looked back and saw it. 1st of 5 in M70 a few minutes ahead of Rick Worner.
1. Didn't see the road under the edge of the triangle, and couldn't figure out why I was climbing a hill, then got to the area and realized it was more complicated than I thought, bailed out to the reentrant to the W and then back in. Lost about 3 minutes and felt pretty foolish.
2. On compass, through the big rocks and starting up the hill. Thought maybe I needed to go up one more line, but then saw the flag down the cliff to my L.
3. Probably should have run the road, and people who did were faster, but just stayed between the marshes and the bottom of the steep hill, checking off features along the way. Not particularly difficult, just long.
4. Pretty easy, just counting spurs and reentrants, right to it.
5. Mostly ok, R of the line looking for the big rock on my left and then in once I saw it. Saw what I thought was the right dot knoll, but didn't see the flag past it. Didn't check the compass to note that I was looking at the NE part of the knoll, and the flag was tucked in a little alcove around the corner, so proceeded on to one more knoll before looking back and seeing it. About a minute.
6. Should have been easy and thought I should see the flag in the reentrant from a distance, and eventually I did, but I guess it was behind a tree when I was first looking for it, so just a little tentative.
7. No real problem, just climbing over cliffs, and there were a lot of them, certainly more than show up on the map.
8. Easy, down the spur, then cut over one spur to the L. Helped that I could see the flag.
9. This was a little further than I expected, but basically fine. Saw Nellie on the way, who apparently was looking for #3, and then saw Geoman leaving the control and caught him up shortly after.
10. Road to powerline, then cut across the rough open. Lucky to see it as it was tucked in a bit and the stone wall certainly wasn't obvious.
11. Out to the road, somehow missed the R fork so a little extra distance, then wondering where the flag was going to be because I could see the trail junction the whole way in, but not the flag off to the left until I got there.
F. Seemed long!
After trying a few things, finally got the Map and route
to load on DOMA.