West Point Day 2 at Lake Welch. Pretty good run for me these days. Only one noteworthy mistake at #4 where I was a line too high and went by it, then when I knew I was too far I looked back and saw it. That was a hard enough control that it seems like everybody missed it, so AP didn't even notice the error. I was feeling pretty smug at the finish, thinking I had a good time, but Rick Worner beat me by about 30 or 40 seconds. Still enough for first M-70 for the two days, so successful orienteering.
1. Very slow through laurel and blueberry, but reading the hills on top and the green patches along the side and came right to it.
2, Easy, down to the marsh and along it, across to the hill.
3. Also easy. Could see the rocky spur before the reentrant from a distance.
4. Left of the big rocky outcrop and angled down. Saw a change in the slope and I thought it would be just above that, but didn't see it until I had gone by and looked back and down a line. About a 1 minute loss.
5. Uneventful, on compass and reading countours.
7. More or less the same, looking for the dot knoll and the one I went to didn't have a flag, so stopped to scratch my head a bit and saw it a line further up the hill. So maybe dropped 30 seconds or so.
8. On compass to the marsh, R side through the laurel.
9. Went a little right to get away from laurel, then a long slog. Really amazed how long it took me to get back to the area of #2, but then felt better from there and no problem. Through the start, down to the larger trail across the top of the marsh, then along the trail to the junction, down the smaller trail for a bit then along the ridge that more or less pointed to it. A little panic when I got to the pit but didn't see the flag, but it was behind a tree.
10. Under the tunnel, then on compass, noting the cleared area to my right. Right to it, but no box. Looked around on the ground in case it had fallen, but maybe it just hadn't been put out. I was one of the earlier starters.
11. More or less straight.
12. Didn't see the fence on the map until I banged into it on the ground, then cut in too soon, maybe at the first opening. So maybe 20 seconds.
Map and route