Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: FernWerm

In the 7 days ending Apr 11, 2015:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Orienteering1 1:21:00 3.17(25:34) 5.1(15:53)
  Total1 1:21:00 3.17(25:34) 5.1(15:53)

» now

Saturday Apr 11, 2015 #


Still very sick and not feeling up to doing much more than walking to the fruit and veg shop and back carrying Paddy yesterday and today. Not sure if Paddy and I keep passing the germs between us (if that's even possible), or if I was just really run down and didn't realise it.

Wednesday Apr 8, 2015 #


Even sicker...

Tuesday Apr 7, 2015 #


Getting sicker...

Sunday Apr 5, 2015 #

Orienteering race (Tundarri) 1:21:00 [3] 5.1 km (15:53 / km)

Despite my quads being in agony I still went out on course and what a mistake! I stuffed number 1, drifting right on my bearing through the vague mallee and thinking the erosion where my control was was the creek further to the left. So I searched in the form-lines to the right before working out my mistake, taking 8 minutes on a 2 minute leg. Then I was super hesitant and generally just not getting into the map for the next few before having a massive 27 minute blow out on an 11 minute leg from 6-7. Haven't had a whopper like this for a while! I was in oxygen debt at the top of the hill and got confused which creek I was following. I was expecting to drop into a star-shaped creek system and as my luck would have it there were two star-shaped creek systems - one about 300m SW of the one I wanted. So when I couldn't make things match up I just stalled. I couldn't work out where I was, there was no one else around, and I just stood there - tired and over it! Eventually I figured I might be south of the control, climbed north over the spur and low and behold there were people everywhere. I hated orienteering in that moment. So I got the next few controls before deciding that Patrick would be waiting for me as Tyson was due to go out on course soon, so I skipped 12&13 and got my last 3 controls on the way back in. Just as well, because Fiona Morcombe who was kindly looking after Paddy, had a very screamy baby on her hands.

That night my legs were so sore I couldn't walk down stairs and I got a fever and a sore throat. Yay.

However, this meant that I didn't go out to the event on the last day because I was really sick which turned out to be a good thing as it was raining and freezing cold - I don't think Paddy would have had much fun.

« Earlier | Later »