Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Swampfox

In the 7 days ending Sep 3, 2017:

» now

Sunday Sep 3, 2017 #


StrĂ¥lande One Cowboy Relay.

Saturday Sep 2, 2017 #


Successful Daze 2.

Friday Sep 1, 2017 #


Daze 1 in the books.

Thursday Aug 31, 2017 #


Put out controls for One Cowboy Relay and the Rocky Mountain Goat. With warnings for widespread thunderstorms in the back of my mind, I was happy to have only mostly cloudy skies and a few sundry raindrops--with the rain in this area holding off until late in the day.

I was also happy to not be attacked by wold boars!

Controls are out now; still need to get some water out for the Goat.

Wednesday Aug 30, 2017 #


Hung Daze 1 controls in the morning and Daze 2 controls in the late afternoon. I was originally thinking I could get the relay controls out, too, which turned out to be a laughable idea. I got out so late I was really lucky to get the last several controls before it got too dark.

My luck was not total, however. At one point, what I recognized as a yielding branch turned out to be unyielding. And what the branch recognized as my upper lip turned out to be my upper lip. Ouch! When I checked for blood, I couldn't find any, so I counted myself as one lucky son of a bitch. Back home, though, the mirror revealed a different story: a thick scratch extending diagonally from my nose down to the upper lip, not bleeding, but having oozed some amount of blood.

Depending on how you view it, I either look like a) a clutz (check mark) or, b) a possibly dangerous man of the high altitude prairie, not one to be trifled with. If b), it could prove useful if people assume the worst and give me wide berth as I advance in age. But I know a) is much closer to the truth.

All that was somewhat offset near the end, as I was hanging the next to last control of the evening, when I encountered a baby moose. Though only a baby, it was still already the size of a medium sized pony.

It ran away very quickly, which seemed somewhat unusual at the time and which I didn't fully understand until I got home and saw in the mirror what it saw in the woods.

Another very hazy day, which has made for an exceptionally beautiful moon tonight.

Tuesday Aug 29, 2017 #


Ran trails; many mountain bikers out. Dry and dusty and still very hazy out.

While biking through the UW campus earlier, I noted lots of activities going on. I wonder how different things would be here if the drinking age were 18, and if it would be better, or worse?

The biggest changes around town when students show up again: more traffic, the grocery stores are more crowded, and there are many, many more smart phone zombies walking around.


Saw Wyoming player Jordan Naughton in the grocery store tonight.

When you're as big as Jordan is, you're hard to miss.

Monday Aug 28, 2017 #


Warmed up by running over and streamering some barbed wire over at Forrest Meadows, and then ran an old Chase course at Pelican Bay. Nice contrast between yesterday's long run at an easy pace high up in the mountains, and today's race pace in the sage and some amount of unseasonable heat. The common element to both days was a strong amount of haze from one or more fires somewhere far off to the west.

Leaving the area, a commercial van was pulling into Remarkable Flats as I was about to turn onto the highway. It looked odd, and it the van was moving with some hesitancy. It only drove a short way down the jeep road before starting to turn around. By then I was on the highway and moving away from the van when something else caught my eye: a dog, crossing under the frontage fence and headed for the highway just ahead of me, and also moving somewhat hesitantly. It looked like it could be lost, and for a moment I wondered if maybe the van (driver) was looking for the dog?

But only for a moment, because then I realized the dog was a bear cub. It looked too small and too young to be on its own. Was mama bear behind it and just out of sight? Or had something happened to make this young bear an orphan? No way to know, and by then I was well past it.

I had a liter of water with me to start with, but drank it all off before starting and was thinking it would have been nice to have had more. It was pretty warm for these parts. I spent a fair bit of the rest of the day once I was back going for more sips of ice water.

Today was the day students moved into the dorms. It's the day when Laramie comes back to full life again, and if you bike through downtown in the late afternoon, you are sure to sight some very fine looking birds. Which I did; I should have brought my field identification guide with me. Next time.

It looks like it is going to be warm and sunny right on through the weekend, though what passes for warm here will probably feel pretty good to most folks--and certainly so for anyone coming from the east coast.

Saw one aspen tree already in full golden glow.

« Earlier | Later »