Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: chitownclark

In the 7 days ending Aug 27, 2017:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Hike w pack5 2:55:00 8.7(20:07) 14.0(12:30) 20
  Total5 2:55:00 8.7(20:07) 14.0(12:30) 20

» now

Sunday Aug 27, 2017 #

Hike w pack 45:00 [3] 2.2 mi (20:27 / mi) +5m 20:19 / mi
shoes: New Balance 610AR

Over to 7/11 at 5:30am to buy eggs and bacon for Sunday morning breakfast w Soupbone on deck. Then to afternoon movie (The Big Sick) with my immigrant wife about the difficulties of marrying an immigrant. One-star movie: too long, too depressing, not funny. Walking like crazy. Feeling good.

Saturday Aug 26, 2017 #

Hike w pack 40:00 [1] 2.0 mi (20:00 / mi) +5m 19:51 / mi
shoes: New Balance 610AR

Hike over to the Saturday Farmers' Market w Sari. Then later with Soupbone, around the River North neighborhood. Quite a day of excitement.

Friday Aug 25, 2017 #

Hike w pack 40:00 [1] 2.0 mi (20:00 / mi) +5m 19:51 / mi
shoes: New Balance 610AR

Out to Starbucks on Fullerton. Then to L station and early dinner with Sari in the River North neighborhood on a Friday night. Good to get out.

Thursday Aug 24, 2017 #

Hike w pack 20:00 [1] 1.0 mi (20:00 / mi)

Up to Starbucks on Diversey and back. Then to Whole Foods for fruit for my morning shake.

Wednesday Aug 23, 2017 #

Hike w pack 30:00 [1] 1.5 mi (20:00 / mi) +5m 19:48 / mi

One week post-op. Out at 6am for a Starbucks on Wrightwood and the NYTimes for the first time. Then over to the bank and back. Walking very slowly and gently. I think if I stumble on a sidewalk crack...I'll break my own back!

Had emergency surgery last Wednesday. Operating laparoscopically, the doc removed a total of 18" of small intestine (ilieum), appendix, connection chamber (cecum) and 12" of ascending colon. In hospital for a day and felt pretty long as I was on IV meds.

Discharged the second day and walked with Sari over to the L and home, feeling weaker and weaker. What a difference, coming off those hospital meds. Passed out cold in the middle of Saturday night, while getting up to pee; broke out in a cold sweat when I came to, on the floor. Sari cleaned me up and put me back to bed. Bumped my head, but otherwise no damage from what could have been an injurious fall.

Pathology report on the guts found several small spots. So lots of follow up appointments in the next couple of weeks. With visits to heart, lung, liver, oncooogy, and other specialists. As some other old guys on a/p have found, once you're in your 70's (old elderly) and go in for a simple test....anything can happen. And usually does.

Despite doctor's orders to remain immobilized for the next six weeks, I'm going to try to ramp up some kind of modest exercise program to add to my daily walks next week. This is all kind of ironic; as a result of my last Circuit race in the Chicago area, I moved into First Place in the 2017 M75-79 standings for the first time in my life...while I was in the hospital!

« Earlier | Later »