Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: cedarcreek

In the 1 days ending Apr 25, 2009:

activity # timemileskm+m
  ARDF 2m1 1:03:00 1.71(36:52) 2.75(22:55) 1005c
  Total1 1:03:00 1.71(36:52) 2.75(22:55) 1005c

» now

Saturday Apr 25, 2009 #


ARDF practice at Stanbery Park--10am

ARDF 2m race 1:03:00 [3] *** 2.75 km (22:55 / km) +100m 19:23 / km
spiked:0/5c shoes: Nike Trail (Blue)

2m radio orienteering course at Stanbery Park, set by Brian DeYoung.

My wrist is still very sore, so I started off after Bob and Dick and planned to stay mostly on trails and avoid the difficult gully crossings, and probably just get 3 Ts. I asked Brian to not tell me which 3, and to just let me figure it out. So I ran a little but mostly walked in the first 4 minutes. I got a good bearing on 3 as I went by, but planned to get it as I finished.

5 came on, close, when I was near the large round shelter, and I ran down a spur towards it. I waited about 3 minutes at the trail---stupidly---and got 5 just as it went off, pretty much in line with where I was standing for 3 minutes.

I ran along the stream on the trail, and as I got to the major stream junction, 1 came on strong down the stream. I found a good crossing, and went down the trail. When 2 came on, it was strong and behind me, on the same hill as the round shelter.

I waited in a decent spot for 1, and got it about a minute after it went off. 2 was strong behind me (up a different hill than before---this may be my bad memory, but I think this is right).

So I had 5 and 1, knew where 3 was, and needed 2 and 4. So I headed towards 2, quick up a hill and waited near the flat part of its spur. I was wondering where 4 might be as it came on. It was pretty weak, and in the far part of the map (1 was already outside my original plan). But I headed toward 4 anyway, just to verify it wasn't tucked in a streambed that was muffling the signal. I was dumbfounded when I saw it---I had been about 50m from it, and it was fairly weak still. We might need to check it out.

So now I needed 2 and 3, and I knew 2 was next. I hightailed it back to the stream, got a little up the hill, and waited for 2. I was about 150m off my earlier bearing, and I planned to run across the slope to get it. It came on, and I started running, and I just kept going. It was taking a long time to reach it. My receiver beeped the 12 second warning and I slowed down and got a good bearing. It went off, and I went on my compass. Actually, that's not true. I didn't bring a compass. But I went on my best guess, and saw it about 20m uphill from me. I could've easily missed this one.

I needed to get back to 3, so I planned a route and went back past the round shelter and to my best recollection of where 3 was. I had selected a shallow gully, which I was sure was right, and it wasn't there. 3 came on, and it took me about 10 minutes to figure it out. I found it offcycle, but I'm claiming zero spikes for this course. The one I was most certain about took me longer than any other.

When I got back, Brian was surprised when I told him I got them all. I was surprised when he said I was the first back. So it was a win. Going really slow for the first 4 minutes probably made the difference. (That and that Dick was trying out a radio he had just soldered together in the previous 11 hours---rather than sleeping.)

A really fun course, and a beautiful day in the park.

« Earlier | Later »