Orienteering race (Coumshingaun) 2:25:00  **** 15.79 km (9:11 / km) +661m 7:36 / km
M21L Munster Champs
not so much a race, too many errors. intensity both physically & mentally were lower than usual. really enjoyed the terrain and there looked like some good horseshoe mountain runs.
the split analysis shows a 31min time loss but in reality it was alot more.
1. lost between 30-60 sec climbing too high when i really had no reason to.
2. again just climbed that bit too high was moving well. 3. lost 4mins, ran west thinking i'd be caught by an unmapped wall to then follow to control. (didn't realise descriptions were wrong!) ran too high then too far south to the edge of map. came back north & saw dooby running into the control below me. 4. could've just tailed the next few controls but didn't. i actually lost another 30-60 sec stopping too short of 4 in another unmapped marshy area thinking darren had maybe made an error. 5. ran too far east, distracted by another control lost 1min!!! 6. one of my few good legs. good running and the features & landscape just seemed obvious. 7. not too bad, but was a little hesistant when crossing the wall & then the stream, keeping above the control circle to drop down into it. more direct running would've saved 30sec. 8. ran well but dropped too much height and had to relocate east of 14 & walked back up to control. lost between 1-2mins.
9. pace had slowed right down by now (enthusiasm & moral low) but navigated well into control. 10. then fell apart, distracted by the detail on the ground i failed to simplify. failing by at least 4mins of wandering.
11. control was obvious but i was convinced for a good while it wasn't mine. lost 10-30sec. 12. moved far too slow and without purpose. doglegged the route and lost 45sec. 13. attacked the two large boulders and thought i'd taken a good enough bearing but was too far north, caught by the track. wasted time at control 204 until saw jonny above the crag next to the control. lost 3mins!
14 & 15. i lost over 10mins!?! (maybe not as much as that as 208 wasn't working & was wrapped up in tape so not even a light was visible!) running too fast downhill crossing the fence above 20. then ending up in the area between 17 & 19.
16. 17. 18. & 19. were the most consistent for me but then over confident i missed 20 and eventually looped back around relocating off the round marsh and walking into it, losing nearly 9mins!
21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26 & 27. were relatively error free. i was now over the two hours and just wanted to get back to download.