Radebeuler Saisoneröffnung HE 1st place
First win in Elite class and with 9 min! (Sweden is restrictive with Elite classes, only on the big competitions so normally I'm just happy if I qualify for them. The US doesn't have them). Also, I'm now tied with Wieland (3-3) in our internal competition!
For the first race of the season, the plan was to spend extra time on the navigation, focus on the basics, to build a good routine and get some confidence. After a pretty decent winter of training, the last two weeks were crappy, except for the last two days with three training sessions(!) Obviously, not the best preparation, the running could go either way (not an important competition anyway). Luckily, it went well. Felt strong the whole way and increased the pace towards the end and was not too tired at the finish.
No big mistakes. Total, around 1.5min:
1. ~10s Ran to far around.
2. ~20s Drifted to far to the right. Had to take a map stop at the circle (had a wrong picture of the area in my head)
5. ~20s Drifted to far to the left after the fence.
16. ~10s Turned 90deg at the first road crossing.
21. ~10s Drifted to far left
22. ~10s Looked for the control on the first hill, then read the map->last hill duh...
27. ~10s Ran through the thick undergrowth to the right at the end instead of outside it to the control
15. was to far to the the north. Luckily I attacked from the south and knew that it had to be north of me and I had enough confidence to keep running past where I expected it to be.
Still some things to work on. Mainly, running in the right direction (I know I'm bad with compass) and keep reading the map enough the whole race. Should probably continue focus on the basics until I get it all right:-)
A good start of the season.