DBK Nacht (Berlin TSC) HE 2nd place (5.01 behind)
10-20 cm of snow ~ -10 C.
(Som tredje startande och först i mål i min klass, som var en av de tidiga startande, hade jag det något tvivelaktiga äran av att ingå i spårpatrullen :-) ).
I had been sick, a cold and a bit of fever, in the week leading up to the competition and even if my Friday evening run felt decent I didn't have to high expectations on my running shape.
I got a really long warm-up. When I prepared to enter the start area I was told the start was delayed ~18min. Not what you want to hear in this cold.
I had problems with both my motivation and concentration before and throughout the race and none of the above helped. Still, really happy with that the total mistakes ended with ~4min and that I managed to keep pushing through the snow. I was really tired at the end...
The course can be seen on Matti's log: http://www.attackpoint.org/log.jsp/user_6277
Caught up with the guy who started 3min ahead of me fairly quick and we stayed together to 17. That was helpful. Some of the times I lost my concentration I could relocate from him. Once, when I was tired of pushing through the snow I even dropped back behind him and ran in his tracks for a while.
7. ~15s To far to the right and unsure which side I was on.
9. ~45s Did a 90deg. turn at the circle and came out to the forest road.
13. ~15s Ran right past the control since I was sure I was on the opposite side of it (felt like I was closer to the road).
14. ~30s Forgot which trail I was on, took the wrong bearing. Could easily have been at least another 30s if I had been alone.
18. ~30s Was navigating to 19. for a while.
21. ~45s Lost all kind of confidence and kept turning more and more left.
32. ~60s Too tired, was only reading the map where I wanted to be, and when I was ~25 m to the left of the line I didn't realize that and ran past the control.
Mostly stupid mistakes I normally don't do.
Really happy I can perform this well when many things are not really working.