2017 was another great year for me. A good amount of great travel with activities logged on 3 continents this year.
1st big trip of the year was to New Zealand (South Island) in January for a 2 week bike tour . 1st grandson arrived 2 months early on March 5th . The US Orienteering team trials were a fun 3 day event (Como, Interstate and Mille Lacs Kathio hosted by MNOC) with some very good orienteering . Enjoyed setting, vetting and prerunning for all 3 days. Had good visit to Washington DC in May with 2 QOC O meets and about 80 miles of the C&O canal towpath biked. July had the MNOC Adventure O at Chippewa Forest with some excellent mountain biking. Bayfield swim was not my fastest and Julia joined us and had very fast time (beat me by 2 min 11 sec) . A trip to the UK in August with some nice hill walking and beach running in N Wales was followed by a quick trip to Laramie with Jim and Mike. Some good O meets in the fall. I set the Minnegoat at Jay Cooke and also had a 4 day sailing trip at end of September with Pete W and friends. A 10 day trip to Antigua for sailing and relaxing in early November was followed by Possum Trot (came 4th this year). The year ended with another trip to Washington DC. Good fun travel to interesting places !
On the activities front: 481 hrs total 2812 miles! (an annual PR)
1) Biking: 1890 miles total New Zealand West Coast tour was awesome (especially the Triple Bypass ride 69 mile day) . Lots of local trips along the Gateway Trail/Brown's Creek trail with new St Croix crossing after August . A good development was the emergence of the lakes link trail project for around the lake and concept design work for hwy 12 rebuild (hopefully to be more bike friendly).
2) Orienteering: 354 km 727 controls ; a good year and with plenty of action: highlights were the US Team trials , setting the Minnegoat at Jay Cooke, Laramie 5 days (just great running and 3rd place in Rocky Mountain goat) ) , and good run at Possum Trot (4th place ) .
3) Swimming : 153 miles : a good year : Bayfield swim time was a few minutes longer than my best at 1:11:55.
4) Kayaking: 154 miles : started out with Milford Sound in NZ with the 1000'+ waterfall , followed with a dozen or so other trips on waters old (St Croix, Kettle, Kinni, Namekagon, Snake, Eau Claire). Just enjoyed going out on sunny days in summer in middle of week and having rivers to myself plus outings with friends on the weekend.
5) Trail running: 119 miles - did one Endless summer series runs (fun and good beer pizza afterwards) plus many good training runs close to home to keep myself in shape.. Had some very nice beach runs : New Zealand (Hokitika) , North Wales (Harlech) , Antigua (Jolly Harbor)
roughly same as 2017 - 450 hrs 2500 miles total with a good blend of on/in water , trail running and orienteering, plus fun stuff on varied locations around the planet ( Feb: Ecuador , May: Maryland, June UK ,Aug : Laramie )
Paddle, swim, bike, navigate, run onward!
All the best for 2018