Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Training Log Archive: Orunner

In the 7 days ending Jun 3, 2010:

activity # timemileskm+m
  Running4 2:59:03 19.0(9:25) 30.58(5:51)
  Walking1 1:00:00 2.0(30:00) 3.22(18:38)
  Orienteering2 37:38 2.98(12:37) 4.8(7:50) 11524 /24c100%
  Total7 4:36:41 23.98(11:32) 38.6(7:10) 11524 /24c100%
averages - sleep:7.2 rhr:54 weight:159lbs

» now

Thursday Jun 3, 2010 #

6 PM

Orienteering race (Sprint) 15:53 [3] * 2.3 km (6:54 / km) +45m 6:17 / km
spiked:12/12c rhr:60 slept:5.0 weight:158lbs shoes: Vavrys - studded rubber cleats

Sprint 1 of FASTO 3 - Season 2 - Camp Freidlander

I was excited. 1.5 miles. Ha. I've been running 4 and 5 miles on a daily basis. The distance will not be a factor. The questions are pain control and speed.

I went out as fast as I could. I tried to keep the pace up. That wasn't really possible. My level of fitness is still rather low. I ran at a constant effort level instead of a constant speed. I nailed every control.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 went down without a problem and at high speed, I think. 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 were boring and hard trying to keep up the speed, running in an open field in full sun. Crossing the same terrain four times. Yuck.

9 - 10 - 11 - 12 I felt my energy drain. Speed was gone. But on the bright side, there was no pain, no despair. It was fun

7 PM

Orienteering race (Sprint) 21:45 [3] *** 2.5 km (8:42 / km) +70m 7:38 / km
spiked:12/12c shoes: Vavrys - studded rubber cleats

Sprint 2 of FASTO 3 - Season 2.

I waited a good 30 minutes before going back out. The first course left me winded and soaking wet. The heat and humidity were a factor. Katie Williams, 15, designed and set the courses. It tickles me that she has taken this on. I have been working with her for 5 years. She is taking a healthy interest this season in improving herself. When she gets back from this summers O trip out west, I expect she will be pumped. I can't wait to see it.

The second course was longer, thicker, and down and back up some hills. I was no longer fresh, so I suspect my speed would be a bit slower. I am typically very dependent upon my compass, but on this course I noticed I was using the map only. This lent to some confusion coming out of control 2 as I tried to repeatedly cross a finger of the lake, believing it was the correct direction to go. It was funny. I could see the lake. But I kept turning to it. I knew it was wrong. But some part of my brain could not get oriented. I had to ignore my brain and believe my eyes. It really felt weird. It only slowed me a bit. Maybe 10 seconds.

I was tired early on. By control 4, I am drained and pushing myself as hard as I could. An observer may have thought I was out for a simple stroll.

Coming out of 9 I looked for an indistinct trail. There was one on the map that looked handy. Yet, not finding one, I noticed I was standing still with out a backup plan. The little brain power I could muster ruled out both the left and right routes. Some voice in my head said go straight ahead. My eyes reported "No!" Looking at a wall of thick vegetation, I think I stood there for 10 seconds. Finally, I told my feet to pick a dog gone direction and go. I went right. I made it to 10. Who wrote these programs we live with?

Finishing both courses was fun. I like our Thursday night Sprint series. Its nice to see all of the others. Its great to push ourselves.

Wednesday Jun 2, 2010 #

3 PM

Running 44:10 [3] 5.0 mi (8:50 / mi)
rhr:60 slept:8.0 weight:158lbs

Good News! Tuesday has been redeemed. I can't say that it is accurate or scientific, but here is what happened. It is the truth.

I was troubled yesterday after struggling to complete a proper, scheduled, planned workout. I slept on it. I woke up with it. I spent a lot of moments during the morning and early afternoon thinking 'positive thoughts'. I truly believe that the mind can affect the physical body. It is no different to me than the natural healing process, just with direct influence from the mind with a time frame, its faster and more deliberate. I don't know what happens exactly, whether it is the production of neurotransmitters, such as dopamine, serotonin, or endorphin, or maybe magic. But something happens when you practice self brainwashing. I kept telling my self that I held the key to running, I controlled my body, not it me. That I could do this. Blah, blah, blah.

Well anyway, come run time, I was pumped. I was looking forward to the rematch. A little anxiety fell over me at the start line, but I was ready. I took off at an intensity equal to yesterday. It felt faster and with less noticeable pain. I deliberately ran blind; not checking my splits. But it became obvious things were much better. I was grasping for air. Pain was not the limiting factor I WAS training aerobically. It was a difficult workout, but I finished happy and proud, and recovered quickly.

I set a season best; knocking a minute off of my fastest 5 miler. I plan to Orienteer tomorrow at Camp Friedlander. I'm looking forward to it.


Tuesday Jun 1, 2010 #

9 AM

Running 50:32 [3] 5.0 mi (10:06 / mi)
rhr:56 slept:8.0 weight:159lbs shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

I lacked desire. There was a feeling of despair. It was coming from within. I believed it was my knees. I took two Aleve and went for my run. Having taken the day before "off" with a short walk, I believed that I should be rested and ready for another 5 miler. It did not have to be fast, but it shouldn't be hard either. As I approached the starting location I prolonged the wait to take that first step.

From the first swing of the leg I knew this was not going to be fun. There was no energy. There was no cooperation from the body at all. It was all will. The first quarter was slow. And it all went downhill from there. I spent most of the run trying to figure it out. If I was evaluating a member of the team with these symptoms, I would back her off, assuming she had too much too soon. I know running. I know me. And I know what my plan is. I do not believe that I have over trained. I let my body govern the speed. I stayed committed to finish, while watching intently for any sign of injury.

My knees were on fire. I faintly felt pain in the hips and ankles. I wondered if the arthritis was going to win. I tried to think, "How can I beat this?". I wondered if I might transfer much or most of my conditioning to bike riding; save the knees for limited exercises or competitions only. I wondered if I could even finish the five today.

I finished. I made it. It did not take long to recover. Cool down was a snap. All signs point to the pounding on the knees. Genetics sucks.


I have hope.

Monday May 31, 2010 #

7 PM

Walking 1:00:00 [1] 2.0 mi (30:00 / mi)
rhr:60 slept:9.0 weight:159lbs

I forgot to take any NSAIDs, yesterday, before or after I ran. My knees were noticeably sore. I spent the whole day overlooking it thinking that I was just feeling the effort from Saturday and then again Sunday.

So today we celebrated Memorial day. Running time came and went. We had guests and I jokingly said I was going to run, but there was no way. After everyone left, Dottie asked if I would join her for a walk. I agreed since it had been a while since I last walked with her and because I realized my knees were sore.

We walked the hills of our neighborhood, narrowly beating a thunderstorm back home.

Sunday May 30, 2010 #

6 AM

Running 39:02 [1] 4.0 mi (9:46 / mi)
rhr:60 slept:8.0 weight:160lbs shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

Had dinner with Steve and Kathy Smith last night. Made arrangements to pick him up this morning to take him on the morning run. He had indicated a desire to do a 40 minute slow run. After making the 5 mile mark yesterday, I decided to keep it easy and shorter today. I would be satisfied with stretching a 4 mile run into 40 minutes, and so his company was both welcome and worked into my plan.

Conversation always helps the time pass quickly. Steve and I are nonstop talking from the git-go. He seemed energetic and willing to keep a 9 minute pace but I wanted to rest and slowed us a bit. We ran South then North and back. Saw Vince and Carol Mick out on a bike ride. Finished before the 40 minutes, so Steve ran out the time while I began to cool-down.


Saturday May 29, 2010 #

6 AM

Running 45:19 [3] 5.0 mi (9:04 / mi)
rhr:30 slept:5.5 weight:160lbs shoes: Wave Nirvana 3

5 Miles!

In my mind I am the 17 year old boy running 8 miles, every day after school, all winter long. In my mind I am the 30 year old that began again to Orienteer in the mid 80's. In my mind I am the middle-aged man that finally found fitness and nutrition in the early 90's. He was nearly always dissatisfied. He always wanted to do better. Second place was another form of losing.

Lauren and her mother pulled up next to me in the parking lot at Joyce Park at 6:27 A.M. I was holding the newspaper in my lap, watching an orange blaze near imperceptibly burn a hole through a blanket of fog lying over the ball-fields, prairie, and parking lot. I was tickled to see the pair at this hour.

I was committed to attempt five miles. Lauren and I talked, and she decided to try four. We took off South following the normal route along the bike path through the forest. It is beautiful. The sight of the trees, their height, and the open canopy draping overhead. The sounds of the birds, doing bird things, full of energy. And the river nearby, out of sight, but within ear shot. The feeling of the cool damp air, comfortable at this hour, but preparing to bring swelter to those who run later. The pleasant floral smells and the invisible clouds of pollen. All of our senses are entertained.

Lauren went out at a speed just beyond where I wanted to be, but within my grasp. I matched her stride, knowing that I may have to lay back. I was increasing my distance today. I did not want to stress the tissues on two planes at once. At the mile and a half, she broke away. I wondered if I had slowed, but that was not likely. Later she admitted she felt a need to be alone. How cute. She stopped at the fountain to remove her tee shirt. I ran through and took the lead.

I sensed a light twinge behind and above my left knee, and made a note. I adjusted my gate and stride a bit, and considered the possibility of shortening the run. The fog over the prairie was now a memory and the sun was demonstrating its intentions for the day. I remained coolish yet wiped my brow oft more than I wished.

The first four miles came and went without issue. I ran through the start at the fountain to do that final fifth mile loop; a half out and back again. A week ago, I knew the plan, but was questioning my design. But today I am pleased. the plan is working. I am getting stronger on all fronts. Tomorrow ends the first four weeks of real training in many years. It could all end in an inattentive moment, ignoring a simple signal. But I have hope. And today I remain happy.


In my mind I have always been and remain a runner. And I know it is true. Because it is the mind that IS the runner. The body is just dragged along.

Friday May 28, 2010 #

rhr:54 slept:7.0 weight:159lbs (rest day)

I decided this morning to just take a break. I kept teetering on the idea. But finally, I left the house to do some shopping, knowing that I could make it to practice, but not back home in time to get dressed to run first. So the die was set. I don't feel bad for not running, but I still have some kind of anxiety. I hope to up the ante tomorrow morning. We shall see what is in store.

No girls showed.

« Earlier | Later »