Hello out there! AP is pretty quiet these days but as we all keep our social distance during the pandemic, it feels more important than usual to reach out.
Life is crazy for everyone - potential health concerns, worries about family members, job stress, financial loss, general uncertainty and - of course - the Great Toilet Paper Shortage. I'm sending a big hug to folks in AP Land and hoping we can help one other by staying connected while we're required to stay apart.
'Bent, BazingaDog, AdventureDog and I are fine. The week leading up to yesterday was super stressful as we tried to figure out what to do with 'Bent's dental practice. After a lot of soul searching and research on the disease and best practices around the world, we decided to close the office except for minor emergencies that can't be managed with meds. This was considered a radical idea by most other dentists early Sunday afternoon but within 2 hours, the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario had made the same recommendation.
It's especially tough for younger dentists who still have huge student loans and practice loans. Like 'Bent, most dentists also have employees who need income regardless of whether there are patients. Some offices aren't closing down. We're hoping the government will offer some small business assistance in tomorrow's announcement.
Regardless, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders since deciding to (mostly) close the office. It was a tremendously difficult decision. 'Bent loves his patients and his staff, and he loves dentistry and helping people. Meanwhile, I have chronic low white blood cells so I'm not sure of the effectiveness of my immune system. I was freaked out knowing that he and his staff work in the occupations considered most likely to get infected. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/15/bus...
Last week we also stressed over whether to cancel plans with friends that ultimately got cancelled anyway - the Costa Brava Stage Run in Spain and the Banff Mountain Film Festival in Toronto. It all seems obvious now but it wasn't so obvious last Monday. In both cases, we decided to cancel 24 hours before it became a moot point. I'm sure Ultra Trail Snowdonia in Wales in June is next but if I wait a while, the cancellation may cost less.
We thought we might ski a little more now that 'Bent's schedule is suddenly open but Scenic Caves and Highlands have closed due to the pandemic. That's OK - there are lots of other ways to stay busy.
Sending love from our home to yours. Stay healthy, take care of each other and keep in touch.