Orienteering race 1:06:47  **** 6.2 km (10:46 / km) +150m 9:37 / km
Day 1 - Red course Boulder Dash
Should have walked around the model but decided just to change my start time to an earlier time primarily because I was running out of food and I knew I will be too hungry to start at noon.
1. Starting slow on purpose and taking time to absorb into the map. Veered right and lower of the control and was confused for a bit, then clicked in and went up into the ditch to find the control.
2. Decided to play safe and headed to the trail to avoid the green. Came down the reentrant and compass to the control
3. Taking a slight left entrance into the reentrant and took a bearing to the control without trying to read details. Asimuth worked, I was right to the control but was about to go further thinking it was too soon, checked it since the feature and surroundings matched, and it was mine!
4. Right of the huge reentrant to the trail, taking the white woods across the marsh and following along the marsh, which was rather dry. Checked off the hill, knew I was low, saw my spur and went up.
5. Straight to the cliffs, some strange mapping prior, missing a contour for the reentrant there, went up anyway and saw my feature.
6. To the small trail, taking it across the large one, around the yellow field and through the woods cutting the corner. Trail to the stone wall, up slowly to my rocks
7. Bashing through the green, hit the yellow corridor , left on the road then cut through the yellow corridors to my reentrant, wasn't bad.
8. To the trail, then the slim yellow corridor, which wasn't fun at all, and bearing to the control
9. Very careful to nine, mostly straight checking off too many features than necessary prob.
10. Straight faster now to the yellow with the rocks as attack point, down further from there to the control
11. Getting sick of the yellow "lungs" and sort of just going straight to the stream, confused by the rocks near the control but saw the flag from the perpendicular stream so wasn't bad.
12. To the road, ran further than originally planned and attacked from the third spur I guess, slow in the green
13. Straight to the stone wall, then yellow corridor, which seemed wider in reality than on the map
14. Right of the forest boundary, greener than drawn