Register | Login
Attackpoint - performance and training tools for orienteering athletes

Discussion: 2021 CalOFest Registration now Open!

in: Rescheduled - BAOC: California Orienteering Festival (Jul 1 – Aug 31, 2023 - Truckee, CA, US)

Nov 29, 2020 7:23 PM # 
smaclean:
Registration is now open again for the 2021 festival... checkout www.cal-o-fest.com for details including the updated schedule and new refund policy.
Advertisement  
Nov 30, 2020 1:32 PM # 
Hammer:
Thanks for the update. I have been looking forward to this event for many years as I’ve always enjoyed orienteering in California. That said these are difficult times.

It appears that a refund is only possible if the event is cancelled or prohibitive travel issues for the competitor. It isn’t clear if prohibitive travel includes situations where individuals do not feel comfortable traveling to the US fine health reasons. Perhaps I missed it but are you not providing refunds for the change in dates?
Nov 30, 2020 9:10 PM # 
smaclean:
Event cancellation or prohibitive travel are not the only refund possibilities. Did you see the right hand part of the Refund Policy table? Competitors can request a refund under the original policy through January 25.

Regarding Pandemic discomfort: We are covering reasonable Pandemic concerns and restrictions for competitors as laid out in the refund policy. Additionally each written application for a refund will be considered individually by the organizers for any emergency circumstances which fall outside of the refund policy criteria.

Regarding the date change: we made the following announcement on April 3 and again on May 3, 2020:

"Current registrations are automatically transferred to 2021; you do not have to do anything, your fees will not increase, and you are guaranteed entry! We encourage you to leave your registration in place; however, for those interested in a refund, please visit our updated website registration page for details, or contact the registrar. "

Hope that helps - its definitely a difficult time for all but we are optimistic that we can go ahead with the Festival.
Nov 30, 2020 10:11 PM # 
Hammer:
Ah, I didn't realize the table was bigger and that I had to scroll right (viewing on an iphone). Thanks for still having a 'competitor cancels' option. I was aware of the original statement about the new dates and refunds but I decided to wait and make a decision at the beginning of 2021 to see how the US was responding to the pandemic. (hopefully things will change for the better early in 2021).

It will be interesting to see how many Canadians feel safe traveling to the NorAm Champs even if the current travel restrictions are lifted. Wearing my race organizer hat I can't imagine how difficult Covid has been for the Cal O Fest organizers. Thank you for your flexibility and I truly hope Covid improves soon because it would be a real shame if the US wins the BK Cup by default. ;-)
Dec 1, 2020 3:18 AM # 
bmay:
Average Daily New Covid-19 Cases for the Last 7 Days, Per 100,000, 11/30/2020
* California - 36.5
* Alberta - 33.6
* British Columbia - 16.6
* Ontario - 11.5

For me, going to California would seem to carry similar risk to crossing the border into Alberta. For now, I'll avoid either destination. It will be interesting to see how things evolve in the next half-year. I suspect the current perception (Canada-Good, US-Bad) may not be a reality by then.

I am cautiously hopeful that we will be able to head south to the Cal O Fest!
Dec 3, 2020 7:39 AM # 
gordhun:
My registration is in. My flights are booked. Rental car and accommodation options are being considered.
However it is not clear how I can amend my age class on my entries or amend the entry at all. Could someone point me to that place?

"Orienteering: The Original Self-Isolation Sport"
Dec 3, 2020 1:36 PM # 
JanetT:
Gord, to make changes on Event Reg usually you need to contact the registrar. See your registration confirmation.
Dec 3, 2020 1:41 PM # 
gordhun:
Thanks Janet. Is my registration confirmation via e-mail?
Dec 3, 2020 1:43 PM # 
JanetT:
If you registered on Event Reg, yes, your confirmation comes via email (unless they've changed something).
Dec 3, 2020 3:55 PM # 
edwarddes:
Your original confirmation email includes a link back into eventreg that allows you to edit your class/race selections. That was one of the major improvements that I implemented in eventreg for this event.
Dec 3, 2020 6:47 PM # 
gordhun:
Thanks folks. After only a bit of trial and error I was able to find that e-mail and send that change request. Look out all you 75+ old farts!!! (And to think I was 23 when I started orienteering!)
Dec 10, 2020 3:02 AM # 
angelica:
Last weekend International Triathlon Federation hosted triathlon for over 2800 people in Florida with people came from all over the world. My friends who attended felt safe because it was all outdoors. I think orienteering is much safer without mass starts. It is so sad so many events got canceled.

https://protriathletes.org/events/pto-world-champi...
Jan 29, 2021 5:49 PM # 
Hammer:
70" of snow just fell on Northstar Resort in the last few days.
Location of NAOC sprint and relay and WRC.
Jan 29, 2021 6:07 PM # 
angelica:
Skiers must be happy!
Mar 7, 2021 2:16 PM # 
khall:
Any news about stage 2 location? Will it require a car to get there from San Francisco?
Mar 11, 2021 6:18 AM # 
DWildfogel:
From the COF czar: "Right now, Big Basin is back on the table and will require a car; we can try to organise lifts or carpools though. Joaquin Miller is backup - which may not need a car."
Mar 11, 2021 6:21 AM # 
HidingControls:
Rogaine will be more fun :D
Mar 11, 2021 11:03 PM # 
peggyd:
Excited that Big Basin is back on the table! I have good memories of that park.
Apr 5, 2021 1:03 PM # 
MIclimber:
Any update now that it is April to the decision to move forward or not?
Apr 7, 2021 1:45 AM # 
HidingControls:
there is a meeting in 1 hour
Apr 7, 2021 5:20 PM # 
bbrooke:
So....what happened at that meeting?
Apr 7, 2021 5:49 PM # 
cmorse:
As far as I know, yesterday was just a meeting with regards the WRC. I understand decisions about the O-Fest will be forthcoming later in the month - informed in no small part by last nights meeting no doubt.
Apr 7, 2021 6:13 PM # 
jjcote:
Right. So... what happened at that meeting?
Apr 7, 2021 8:52 PM # 
HidingControls:
Really good discussion - about all parts of the festival
There will be an announcement around about April 21st, that in part is because there is a US/Canada Border announcement around on the 20th which for obvious reasons is a key part of the decision making.
Apr 7, 2021 9:50 PM # 
jjcote:
Thanks, Matt.

Please login to add a message.