Feel like I've been fighting off a cold all day. Hope it decides one way or another quickly or else I won't have time to recover completely for the IOC. Strained muscle in my back very sore all day.
A few thoughts on my performance at the JK:
- you can't expect to orienteer well when you don't practice!
- my running pace is as slow as I expected
- my endurance is better than I expected
- my hill strength is better than I expected (my best split in the long race was on the only real hill)
- I should probably be running my age class (come on young Irish guys, start beating me so I can retire gracefully!)
- I like long races, though preferably tougher than this
- make sure you know what your incoming runner is wearing in a relay
Orienteering race 36:27 6.94 km (5:15 / km) +152m4:44 / km ahr:169 max:177 shoes: Jalas 2010
JK Relays. 3rd leg on the 120+ team with RogerG and BenS. Good lead out from Roger, back in second and a great run from Ben giving me a 3 minute lead, which I nearly lost as I missed him at the last control and was busy waiting while he was at the changeover! Not too much lost, maybe 30 seconds, which meant that I set out just in front of Ross on the Men's Open team. Good fun race with him (and ColmM after the first km) but wasn't half feeling tired from yesterday. Easy enough for my first ever JK win. Thanks to Keith and Mark for fun courses and especially for printing the control codes on the map.