XC Ski (Dry land) 1:30:00 
Lesson 3 of 22
First day of skate ski training
But we started out with a pole hike and then some strength/balance exercises by the playground at what Ben, the instructor likes to call "The Playground of Pain"
1. stand on picnic table bench, balance on one leg and swing the other leg along the side of the bench, up above knee level. Keep the solid leg bouncing on the swings and swing the arms. Do this for quite a while on one leg, then the other
2. hop up on the bench onto one leg, raising both arms in the air in a jump. Once comfortable with that, give an extra push with the leg on the bench and swap legs on the way down (if I remember correctly) It's supposed to be a bit explosive
3. Lie down on bench. Let legs go out to side, upwards in a \/ and back then upwards straight
4. Arms on bench, push-downs .... let butt get 1/4 down, then 1/2 then all the way
5. Balance exercises on the semi-circle ball that looks like a large squished sea urchin.... on one leg, then other foot front, side back
then we went to the hill and learned about the V1 for skate skiing, extending up on the first leg, pushing down hard and jumping to other leg while extending skis backwards. First we did this a number of times without the poles and then with.
All kind of fun tonight.