Run warm up/down 12:00  1.2 mi (10:00 / mi)
shoes: Icebug MR2 811
Easy jog around field. Would have liked a longer warmup but pressed for time.
Orienteer race 2:00:42  **** 9.3 km (12:59 / km) +380m 10:47 / km
shoes: Icebug MR2 811
Georgia Navigator Cap - Day 2 - Blue
Although there were a lot of positives, this was not a good race. Nevertheless, it got me where I need to be - alone in the woods planning & executing.
- planned good route choices
- physical plant improving
- decent active & passive o'ing
- bad relocation (with a bit of bad luck)
- morale flagged when run became non-competitive
So the unfortunate story is really 2.5 bad controls. I had a good plan for all of them but this is what went wrong:
3) Planned to attack down the left side of the spur & fall into reentrant. As it was dark and the map had a green blotch over another reentrant, I did not see the potential for a parallel error else I would have been more certain before descending into it. Also, once there, I did not relocate well because I still did not see this reentrant (in which I was standing) on the map.
4) Maybe I was still rattled by 3 but I don't think so. This time I did see the parallel error potential. As I was picking my way across the top of the spur, I made sure to stay right so I would fall into the correct reentrant heading straight for the control. All of a sudden, things did not match-up well so I stopped to relocate before straying too far. No luck, the map is a bit generalized around here so there was a lot more to see than read. I moved around looking for big stuff from which to relocate but still had no luck. The only certain place was the top of the hill... ugh. So up I went and I confirmed that I was close to where I suspected during my failed relocation efforts.
10) This leg is rife with handrails yet I managed to completely boom it. However, I do not completely blame myself on this one. I attacked multiple times from the gully and it is mapped 80-90m north of reality. My mistake was not giving up on it and heading down the stream to find the trails. Again, poor relocation.
It's great to be out orienteering again and a day like today does not dissuade me at all; it gives me tasks to work on and the incentive to do it.